File structure

This section is the support area for customers of Key Software. If you have a problem with an order please feel free to discuss it here.

Moderators: jthspace, maximus

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

File structure

Post by jthspace » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:07 pm

Hope this isn't going to be too long, but I need to explain the background to ask the question.

To state the obvious, I have the following set up. I have a "public_html" folder in which there is an index.htm file which loads when people access the website. What I want to do is on the frontpage people see is add a link to another folder in which there are varions photo albums created by adobe photo elements 2.

Therefore directory structure I have set up is

-
--public-html
index.htm
loads of other stuff

-- albums
-- album one
-- album two
-- etc.

IF I create a link on index.htm to /public_html/albums/album one/index.htm
it returns a 404 not found.

Question : Is it not that simple?
Suspect not ! :oops:

Thanks in advance for a pointer or two

Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: File structure

Post by maximus » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:30 pm

jthspace wrote:Hope this isn't going to be too long, but I need to explain the background to ask the question.

To state the obvious, I have the following set up. I have a "public_html" folder in which there is an index.htm file which loads when people access the website. What I want to do is on the frontpage people see is add a link to another folder in which there are varions photo albums created by adobe photo elements 2.

Therefore directory structure I have set up is

-
--public-html
index.htm
loads of other stuff

-- albums
-- album one
-- album two
-- etc.

IF I create a link on index.htm to /public_html/albums/album one/index.htm
it returns a 404 not found.

Question : Is it not that simple?
Suspect not ! :oops:

Thanks in advance for a pointer or two

Jeff
Well the simple answer to that is you don't have a albums/album one folder and that's why you get an error. I know because i'm looking in your public_html folder right now. By the way, don't leave spaces between folder names. So if you wanted something called album one it should either be albumone or album_one or album1 and you probably know already but keep everything in lower case.

So, i suspect you created the folders in FrontPage but they have not been uploaded to your ftp. I can create all the folders for you if you want, then you can upload the photos into their relevent sections ?
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:41 am

Ah! Forgot you have access and might check - I deleted the folders when it didn't work in order to keep the site tidy. I will re-create it all this weekend and have another try. I had spaces in the directory names so that may have been a problem.

Appreciate the offer of you doing it, but if you don't mind, I will try again and see if I can sort it out; otherwise I will never learn unless I try a few times first!

I have Dreamweaver MX2004 now but I think the learning curve will be a bit longer than frontpage. I assume I can mix and match, i.e. if I have used frontpage in the past, is it safe to start using Dreamweaver on the same site?

Thanks again, I am enjoying learning about this!

Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:13 am

Well i'm here if you get stuck. Best way with most things to do with computers is to get stuck in and give it a go and your doing fine as far as I can see. Just takes a little getting used to but you'll be flying along nicely in a week or so :)

Yes you can use Dreamweaver as well as FrontPage although you may notice that when you load something you have done in FP into DW there will be a bunch of faulty tags. FP uses these exclusivly. Which doesn't matter as long as you have FrontPage extensions installed..which you have, but is also the reason why FP pages tend to be bloated.

Use Dreamweaver as much as you can and you will soon get over the learning curve. Then it becomes very easy :)

Give me a shout if you need anything.
Maximus
Site Admin