Hello

If your new to the site why not drop in here and say hello!

Moderators: bob, jthspace

Forsaken

Hello

Post by Forsaken » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:09 pm

Hello guys am new to this forum kust saying hello.

And one first question :) i can't make the externall HDD work on vista mode any ideas? Vista looking for drivers and there is no drivers for my device.

Thank you
Polys

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:28 pm

Welcome to the forum

What make of HDD caddy is it?

Jeff

Forsaken

Post by Forsaken » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:44 pm

Hey Jeff

Ihe HDD is a seagate barracuda 100gb portable technologie.

I'am using external case with usb only no power cable.

Works perfectly on XP mode..

Polys

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

when USB hard drives are not recognized

Post by jthspace » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:26 pm

Some thoughts based on experiences with clicking as a power starvation condition, as the drives require 1000ma to spin up and many USB ports top out at 500ma. You can sometimes buy what appears to be a bridge cable that delivers the power from two USB ports to a single device. Good luck actually getting a cable, though.

1) I've found that back panel/motherboard USB ports tend to work better than front panel ones.

2) Try each port; some may deliver just enough extra power to get it to work.

3) Don't use USB extension cables. Cable length and intervening connectors decrease delivered current.

4) Defintely try external power if your drive supports it.

5) If you're unsure whether the drive still works try it on other machines (friends, neighbors, etc.) until you get a statistical sample.

6) If you DO get it to work, you may run into file read/write failures. If so go to device manager for the external drive and change its properties under the policies tab (XP Pro) to "optimize for performance" in order to enable read/write caching. Default setting is to "optimize for quick removal" which is fine most of the time but not with a dodgy USB connection.

All these came off a web search - I also discovered a lot of people complaining that external HDD's did or didn't work with VIsta, so you are not alone.

If your caddy supports a power supply, try that or try connecting the HDD to the PC directly. If it works on XP without fault, then I suspect it is a power/vista problem as mentioned above.

Hope this helps

Jeff

Forsaken

Post by Forsaken » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:15 pm

Thank you Jeff

i will let you know.

polys