Android Ice Cream Sandwich Running On Samsung Galaxy S

Sat Nav Devices & Software, Mobile Phone Hardware/Software/Unlocking etc. PPC/PDA

Moderators: bob, jthspace, maximus

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Android Ice Cream Sandwich Running On Samsung Galaxy S

Post by maximus » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:24 pm

Well couldn't resist it. My rather wonderful Samsung Galaxy S is now coming up to 18 months old and since Samsung have made it very clear they will not be porting Android 4.0 to the phone I figured it was about time to have a little play. Android phones tend not, on the whole, to be as volatile as Apples iPhone when it comes to messing about with the OS so there is very little chance of bricking the phone.

Anyway, I used Onecosmics's ICS Port Android 4.0.3 RC3.1 which you can find here :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1398223

If anyone is thinking of doing it, take your time and make sure you know how to flash a rom first. I think you will also need to root your phone but that's a relatively quick and painless process. You can find details on that by doing a search on the XDA site or by taking the link below :
http://androidadvices.com/root-samsung- ... -firmware/

So, my phone is now running Android 4 :) Bit like having a new phone and will probably keep me happy until our contract is up in August which should be just in time for the new Galaxy SIII with it's quad core cpu and 4.6 inch screen :)

Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Re: Android Ice Cream Sandwich Running On Samsung Galaxy S

Post by jthspace » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:05 pm

Nicely done!

Have checked out xda site for years, a very informative place to get answers!

Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: Android Ice Cream Sandwich Running On Samsung Galaxy S

Post by maximus » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:26 pm

Can all be a bit overwhelming if your new to all this so bit of a learning curve but I'm getting there :)
Maximus
Site Admin