Anything to do with large screen TV's, Freesat, Sky, BluRay etc

Moderators: bob, jthspace

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Good films

Post by maximus » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:16 am

Quality films are usually as rare as hens teeth. We often get fed just the usual Hollywood production line stuff that's ok to watch when you have nothing better to do. However, there has been a suprising number of really good films about over the last few months.

Best film I have seen by far over the last 12 months is 'Memoirs Of A Geisha'. It's obviously not to everyone's taste but for me at least it just oozes quality. The acting is superb, the scenery is beautiful and the atmosphere captivating.
It's also very accurate in it's portrayal of what a Geisha is and how they live. At it's most basic it's a love story, but not the usual hollywood drivel that get's churned out time after time.

Next up is 'Mrs Henderson Presents' with Judi Dench and Bob Hoskins at their best. Will Young also makes his movie debut and does a fine job of it too :) This is another classy well produced British film. At times funny, at times very sad but always engrossing. The characters are rich and full of depth and your attention is never lost. Well worth a look.

King Kong - Bit of an epic this one. I think it lasts something like three hours. It's slow to get going but the action is pretty much non stop from about half way through. Personally I thought they went over the top with the dinosaurs and giant insects but hey...it's a Peter Jackson film and he's always at the cutting edge of the big effects! The acting can't be faulted. Jack Black as over the top producer Carl Denham is superb. Naomi Watts as Ann Darrow was perfect in the role and Adrian Brody as the somewhat understated hero and playright Jack Driscoll is also superb. All in all a long drawn out but ultimatly succesful film :)

Maximus
Site Admin

Dexxa
Great Britain

Post by Dexxa » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:48 am

Memoirs Of A Geisha i wanna see that, But my cinema unlimited card has been suspended hehe

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:58 am

We watched it on DVD. Gave up going to the Cinema a long time ago. Got fed up with people talking through the film, people messing with their mobile phones etc. Much better at home where you can relax, pause the film if you want to and the picture quality is better :)
Maximus
Site Admin

Dexxa
Great Britain

Post by Dexxa » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:37 am

The films also on dvd? :O

But the films on cinema now

http://www.ugccinemas.co.uk/cinemathequ ... LMPART=657 :p

Looks very good tho

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:26 am

Of course it's on DVD, tell me a film that isn't if you know where to look ? ;)
Maximus
Site Admin

Dexxa
Great Britain

Post by Dexxa » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:35 am

hehe true,

I have loads of em :p

But there is one film i wanna get on dvd which is out now, I saw it on the cinema, The island :D Great film :D

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:41 am

I have The Island but haven't gotten around to seeing it yet. Sasha watched it and she said it was good :)
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:46 pm

Add Cronicles of Narnia - Not too much Sex and Violence (well, none actually - except the Goat was looking at the 10 year old in a funny way!) but a riviting good film.

Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:53 pm

Aha! So we're not the only one's who noticed that dodgy goat then :lol:

Yeah not a bad film except for me it go a bit silly half way through, maybe because it's essentially a children's story. I would rather have seen the eldest sibling hacking into those wolves with that big sword rather than standing there like a lemon...but perhaps I'm just too blood thirsty :lol:

It was very well made though and I thought little Georgie Henley who play the ten year old Lucy Pevensie was very good, certainly a better actress than the other three.
Maximus
Site Admin

Dexxa
Great Britain

Post by Dexxa » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:18 pm

I just brought the island :D

That goats a perv then!!! :wink:
Dexxa wrote:hehe true,

I have loads of em :p

But there is one film i wanna get on dvd which is out now, I saw it on the cinema, The island :D Great film :D

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:37 pm

I really enjoyed the Island, could have had a bit more depth to the story, but it was a good film, would watch it again.

Saw it on holiday last year in the US and went to the cinema to escape the 100 plus temperature and 90 percent humidity. Cost $8 to get in and once in, you could stay all day and go to any of the 18 screens! When I asked about the lack of ticket checking, the guy looked at me really strangely and said "you've paid to get in, so go watch a movie or two - sheesh!"

Got tooo cold after a while and had to leave to get warm! Air Con set to same temp as the soft drinks. The ice in the 40 fluid ounce drink cup never melted!

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:52 pm

No wonder people are not going to the Cinema's here. $8 and your could watch all the films?? So there's another reason we don't go, the price...oh and the quality. Seat's are uncomfortable for watching a 3hr movie and the drinks etc are just daylight robbery!
Maximus
Site Admin

Dexxa
Great Britain

Post by Dexxa » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:45 pm

The usa always gets the good stuff,

Cinemas round us, You can see any film any day and at any time for just £10.99 so weve kinda got the same thing, Just saving abit more,

Not quite the same thing though is it. £10.99/$19.36 isn't $8.00/£4.54 and can you see every film showing for your ten quid? I mean come out of one screen and go straight into another? And even if you could it's still not an attractive proposition for me. Home Cinema win's hands down :)

skell

Post by skell » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:32 pm

For me a good film is one you can watch over and over again and still feel satisfied afterwards. No, im not takling about those 'Debbie Does Dalas' type movies :D im mean films like Star Wars and The Godfather movies. And for recent Block Busters you cant beat The matrix or Lord of the Rings.

Also, films that you should or must watch at least twice are Usual Suspects, Fight Club and The Sixth sense for their twist in plot or endings.

Three other films i would always recomend to watch would be The Shawshank Redemtion, The Green Mile and the brilliantly directed Million Dolla Baby.

Going back to Star Wars, which im sure most of us would agree is a classic film and will always be there or thereabouts at the top of anyones list, Sky Movies will be showing all the Star Wars movies at the end of August. But most interestingly though there will be a comedy drama- performed by The Reduced Shakespeare Company- shown at some time during the films which will consist of the whole epic being shortened into a 20min show. This is a one off showing and sounds like its one that shouldnt be missed.

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:10 pm

The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile are absolute classic's. Brilliant acting, superb direction and great stories.

Loved Lord Of The Rings. Have held off watching it again until we get a large screen LCD to do it justice. Same goes for Star Wars.
Maximus
Site Admin