CGI Films and today -

Anything to do with large screen TV's, Freesat, Sky, BluRay etc

Moderators: bob, jthspace

Wodger
Veteran
Veteran

CGI Films and today -

Post by Wodger » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:24 pm

Has anyone recently taken a good look at the film offerings lately?

Notice how many CGI films are coming onto the market.

10 years or so ago, ToyStory was the beginning, now it seems that 30% or so films released in the cinema are CGI.

I recently went to see Barnyard, and before that The Wild (AKA Madagasca with better graphics but MGSA had a better storyline)

Seem to be phases now, with most coming out in relation to animals: Over the hedge, Garfield 2 - even Aardman are having a dip (after the fire they had at their studios) with a release of "Flushed Away".

I think its also more attactive to the actors to who just have to get up in the morning, make sure they haven't been singing the bar down the night before, no makeup, costumes or such, and just speak the lines - what could be simpler?

Would actors still be payed plenty cash to "Lend their voices" - The Wild had only a few well known actors.

Things certainly come on in the last few years, but have to be careful they don't repeat storylines.

Still, although a learning 3d artist, I still prefer to see the all kicking, all punching action films, although Steven Seagals latest contibutions have been below the mark set by Under Siege 1&2
Although "Submerged" did entertain with Vinnie Jones.

Maybe in the near future, real life acting could be replaced with interactive films where you decide the next scene - Anyone remember the film "Big" with Tom Hanks proposing a storybook along the same line?

Wodger
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Wodger » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:13 pm

Following on from this post, I can comment on a series that has benefited from CGI.
Everyone remembers Joe 90, Stingray, Thunderbirds and other Gerry Andersons creations with the cinemascope.
Some people have tried to make things better from them. The thunderbirds movie, some interesting effects but lacks the element of the original series. :(

Now, if you have the chance, take a look at Gerry Andersons attempt at the "New Captain Scarlet". Series 2 has not long been released.
All in CGI, with the pilot similar to the original captain scarlet pilot, but thats where the series separates itself.

Effects are spectacular, stories well thought out and I must say they have got C. White and Captain Scarlet spot on - expressions are impressive.

Here is where I think the series has benefited from CGI - Tell me your thoughts.
If you have kids that are into thunderbirds etc. This is a good buy
"Spectrum is Green" :D

Wodger
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Wodger » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:02 pm

I saw a flashback film last night, one of the first films to use CGI, 1982 - TRON.
Even then the graphics there were quite impressive for the time, probably took a computer that filled a concert hall 6 months to finish it all :)

Dexxa
Great Britain

Post by Dexxa » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:38 pm

Omg! Tron! That is a classic!, Watched that the other day, Even tho its old it's still good!

Wodger
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Wodger » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:59 pm

Totally agree with Dex, Tron was one of my favorites when I was a kid (Had a badly taped copy)

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:43 am

Just recently watched Monster House and The Ant Bully. Both very well animated and of course you can do things in CGI that you could never achieve in real life. The animations are becoming more life like....not neccesserily in the look of the characters but in the way they move, also the scenery is taking on a much closer to life look. I can see a point coming...probably 5-10 years from now where it's going to be hard to tell the difference between real life and CGI.

Remember the Final Fantasy films ? The "acting" in those was so well done that after a while you forget your looking at CGI. And look at Lord Of The Rings? The battle scenes were just an awesome use of CGI.

It's easy to see the advantages from a production point of view. For a start the characters do exactly what you want them to do without any ego's or artisic temperements getting in the way. Also you instantly do away with the makeup department, the props dept, the scenery guys, the lighting crew's etc so the cost savings must be imense. Also it's so much easier to change scenes, alter dialog etc and to produce in multiple languages for distribution around the world. Also as processing power and new technology is ever on the march the possibilities are endless.

I can only see the plus points for CGI. Production times are shorter, which means we get to see more films. Unknown actors get some great work out of it doing voice overs and films can be put into production that would never have seen the light of day had they needed to be made with traditional methods :)
Maximus
Site Admin