Revival of past kids films

Anything to do with large screen TV's, Freesat, Sky, BluRay etc

Moderators: bob, jthspace

Wodger
Veteran
Veteran

Revival of past kids films

Post by Wodger » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:37 pm

So, with the launch of Transformers near, and talk of doing a film version of TinTin, are producers running out of ideas for new films?
I talked about CGI films last year, the repetative theme of animals being prominent for the last few years, the latest being "The Ant Bully" (cross between antz and honey I shrunk the kids).

I can't speak for the current generation of "under teeners", but do they actually want to go to the cinema anymore to watch a film? Or would they rather put the TV on, or play on the WII, NDS or PS3 with the characters from the films (several games I have seen on the shelves before the film has even been released).
Is the cinema dying out for the yound kids generation?

What do you think? (those that have kids - Gav / Mapman)?

Pete

toon
Veteran
Veteran
Great Britain

Post by toon » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:52 pm

i think all genres are beginning to morph into one conglomerate. my kids ( 2 girls 10 and 8 ) like the cinema but know where to watch stuff online for nowt. the whole experience is not the same at the cinema. many of these multiplexes are not much better than large plasma screens. when i was a kid it was major to go to the pictures. huge screen, tons of people, screams, cheers etc. now the whole experience seems rather anodyne, as an adult too.
certainly the lines between "reality" and cgi are so blurred as to be indistinguishable these days. i really enjoy toy story, shrek etc. but i think the fatted calf is gonna get slaughtered. the days of the disney wildlife type film on sat teatime were magic. i access some these on the net and my kids still prefer them. don't want to sound like an old duffer cos i love technology. but i doubt i would have got to go out so much, be independent and as confident if i spent all night on a pc/ds/wii/etc. But then my folks weren't obsessed with me being lifted by unsavoury characters. its difficult. protect and leave to explore. i know this as a teacher. anyway, enough of such wittering. got to go and scrub the backstep, cos the coalman has just been and i am sorting out stuff for the rag and bone man! Might get to a magic lantern show myself later in the week.
enjoy
gav
:D :D

Mapman
PcMacZone Member
PcMacZone Member

Post by Mapman » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:28 pm

They absolutely love going to the cinema, it's the whole experience - a special treat, change from the norm, always with friends all keen to see same new film. Don't do it much, though - I think that's why it retains some magic. We like our local cinemas except for the prices!