Buying an LCD TV is confusing as hell !

Anything to do with large screen TV's, Freesat, Sky, BluRay etc

Moderators: bob, jthspace

tomm

Post by tomm » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:10 pm

Maximus / Jeff

As a relative newcomer to the site ,can I say that what I like about it is the fact that I have never seen stupid spamming or troll activity etc .And I just assumed this was down to "keeping the gate closed " to non registered site users ,as was mentioned.

It is restrictive ,but I have seen many a good site totally ruined by the negative few ,as the sites worked on a trust basis . But these trolls etc care nothing about trust.

So ,on balance , better to restrict posts to registered users ??

For what its worth Max , my input is --- stay as is .

Sorry if this is off topic from TV thread ,but just following through on most recent comments .

tomm

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:13 pm

Well we never worry to much about going off topic around here Tomm :)

Glad you like the site the way it is. I think the consensus is that we should keep the drawbridge well and truly up!
Maximus
Site Admin

chrissy

Post by chrissy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:42 pm

Hi all , i bought a panasonic plasma earlier this year the 37px60 , looked at some lcd`s but the motion blur and the way sky looked on them put me off . glad i went for a plasma in the end , only thing that concerned me was about screen burn , but i`ve fell asleep in front of it loads of times and woke up with the dvd menu on for who knows how long but a few seconds on another channel or something and theres no trace of it .

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:29 am

Well I thought about Plasma but there are a few things that put me off. First is the screen burn issue. Perhaps it's not so bad these days but it's an issue non the less. Second is the screen resolution. Plasma's tend not to scale pc input very well. Last is the power consumption. Plasma's do consume a heck of a lot power. Oh and they are also heavier than LCD.

Motion blur on LCD is one thing that would drive me up the wall, but most of the set's I have looked at recently didn't seem to suffer from any noticeable motion blur.

Picture quality with an SD source is a cause for concern since that is what I would be watching most of the time. It does depend a lot on the bit rate of the channel your watching though. Best set's I have seen for SD pictures so far are Toshiba and Philips. I hear Panasonic is also very good.

Well, perhaps next month will definitely be the one. I can feel a buying decision crawling it's way to the surface :)
Maximus
Site Admin

chrissy

Post by chrissy » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:39 pm

the motion blur and not showing well on SD was what turned me to the plasma . i suppose lcds must of got better it was feb when i bought mine , not tried with a pc but the xbox360 looks great on the vga .