Anything to do with large screen TV's, Freesat, Sky, BluRay etc

Moderators: bob, jthspace

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

HD-DVD - the new Betamax?

Post by jthspace » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:32 pm

Looks like Warner will stop all HD-DVD movies from the end of May this year. You can already get cheap HD-DVD players as dealers start to get rid of stock.

Example : http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.202-0532.aspx

As Blu-Ray players start at £400 or so, it looks like it may make sense to buy a PS3 and get a free games machine into the bargain.

Unless MS can pull a flanker, it may be the death nell of the HD-DVD player. I thought Blu-Ray was going to be the betamax equivalent, but I was wrong. I give horse racing tips as well (not)!

I wonder what MS will do with the Xbox drive - release a blu-ray version or a new console?

Jeff

m8internet

Post by m8internet » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:53 pm

Thats one of the problems when competing media types are released at the same time

We all (if you are older than 20) remember the VHS and Betamax competition
Betamax was the SONY version of video cassettes, but its major disadvantage was that the maximum film length was just over 3 hours
VHS was capable of 4 hours

For a short period of time some films were also released on CD
Again the maximum film length was very short, just over 2 hours
This was replaced a few months later by DVD

Having just managed to replace all my VHS videos with DVD it will be many years before I opt for yet another changeover
DVD quality remains and still is the main media choice
Professional website hosting
m8internet.com

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:42 pm

I'm glad to see quality winning out for a change. Looks like a lot of us will be going the PS3 route now. Was going to by a HD player myself but looks like a dead end now. Even the low price would not persuade me any more.
Maximus
Site Admin

Wodger
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Wodger » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:54 am

I was having a discussion about this subject with my fiance last week when we were in Mega Mall, Manila, Philippines and on entering a store, 1/4 of the HD section was HD DVD and the majority was BlueRay.
I have experienced Blueray with my brother in Law on his PS3, U541 and surround sound is awesome.
Even games adverts for PS3 have the "actual gameplay" wording more visible than the past PC games that just show the trailers.
But I agree with M8internet that it will be a while before I update my DVD collection (+300 disks).
Ive also heard noises from sony that there are +10 layer disks in the pipeline, where do you stop, same as pictures, good having a 10 MP camera, but pictures to be displayed on screen anything bigger than 1600X1040 then screens will struggle to display.
I think TV display technology has to improve more before larger quality discs are marketed.

From someone who knows next to nothing about TVs or DVD technology :)

Pete

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:13 am

I think TV display technology has to improve more before larger quality discs are marketed.
. . . . visual cortex implants.

As to competing formats, what about the old 12" video disks from (?) Philips - I almost bought one of those! It would be like using a wind-up gramaphone now if you wanted to watch a film.
We all (if you are older than 20) remember the VHS and Betamax . . . .
To be honest, I never believed the cinema would replace the end-of-the-pier "What the Butler saw" machines - those Lumiere brothers and their new fangled Cinematographe changed the industry overnight!

Jeff (who saw what the Butler saw and it changed my life!)

dave
PcMacZone Member
PcMacZone Member
Great Britain

Post by dave » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:25 am

well i remeber the beta max and it was far superior to vhs even the industry prefered it but what do they know :)

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:41 pm

I actually bought a betamax machine. I think it was called a Philips Video 2000 or some such. It played find but the selection of films in the format was dwarfed by VHS.

I think buyers are more discerning now and this is why the higher quality of BlueRay is starting to win out over the lower price of HD DVD. Anyway this can only be a good thing. Prices for BlueRay DVD Players will tumble once it becomes clear the format has won out. Many people haven't bought yet because of the uncertainty.
Maximus
Site Admin

toon
Veteran
Veteran
Great Britain

Post by toon » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:13 am

a mate of mine is a sound engineer and he still watches betamax!! he has an old player and collects the tapes at boot fairs and charity shops. he reckons it by far exceeds vhs in terms of quality. course he could be looking at it from a sound perspective.
gav
:D

Wodger
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Wodger » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:49 am

Something for Jeff,

Not quite implants, but you can walk round the house looking like Geordi LaForge from startrek :)

http://tinyurl.com/38kqjn

Pete