Anything to do with large screen TV's, Freesat, Sky, BluRay etc

Moderators: bob, jthspace

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Time to buy a new tv :)

Post by maximus » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:48 pm

Our three year old 32" Hannspree is starting to show signs of wear with shadow type lines beginning to appear from the top of the screen and moving down. Can't complain really. It was cheap and has done us well as an intro to flat panel tv's.

Thinking of buying this Sony Bravia KDL37EX503U 37-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 100Hz Internet LCD TV with Freeview HD which seems like a good deal. We already have HD via Sky and our Sony BDP 370 blue ray player but the built in Freesat HD would not go amiss.

Anyone else looking to buy a new tv before Christmas ? and if so what are you looking at and why? Also if anyone owns the above model would love to hear what you think of it. 37" is really the absolute max we can go here due to space restrictions so anything above that is out of the question.

Maximus
Site Admin

m8internet

Re: Time to buy a new tv :)

Post by m8internet » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:16 pm

My 32" CRT went last year, it was just over 5 years old and started to "whistle"
I went for a 50" plasma, based on the seating position
If you are watching films then go for a sub-field drive of at least 100Hz

If I was buying now I would also ditch the plasma and go for LCD

If you have SKY HD then the Freeview HD will make the SKY redundant...
Once there are a few more HD channels on Freeview HD I too will be swapping, then dumping the Virgin Media TV package (at the moment it costs me £5 per month)
Professional website hosting
m8internet.com

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:06 am

Still kicking around ideas but 100Hz is definitely a must have.

The only reason we are keeping the Sky HD is because it's also a PVR and a pretty good one at that. We only pay £11 per month for it and that gives us all the sky channels apart from movies and sport which we never needed and of course the free HD channels. We would need to spend another £10 per month for the full HD channel package but having had it before I have to say the quality was not great. A lot of the programs are from the states and not really what I would deem to be HD.

Given that Freesat pvr would cost over £200 the £10 per month for Sky is not too bad. Will sort out another solution when time permits but for now it will do.

Can't really go for anything larger than probably 40" here, perhaps 42" at a squeeze but our viewing distance is small, around 7Ft or 8ft if we wall mounted it so we have to keep it within sensible limits. The 32" was great but I still think it's a bit too small to give you the full cinema effect at that distance.
Maximus
Site Admin

m8internet

Post by m8internet » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:17 am

maximus wrote:Still kicking around ideas but 100Hz is definitely a must have
That's the minimum sub-field I would consider
I would consider that for a TV that is for general viewing, such as a kitchen, bedroom, etc
If it is a main TV then I would look at something faster, such as 400Hz or 600Hz
The 1080p / HD really needs this
I was concerned when my previous LG at 600Hz was swapped (under warranty) for a Panasonic at 400Hz
as the clock cycle is reduced from 12 to 8, however personally the Panasonic copes much better with retained images and computer use
m8internet.com

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:25 am

mmmm...some food for thought there. just thinking though, our budget is not going to stretch to anything more than 100Hz I think. A friend of mine has a 100Hz Philips set and that looks fantastic. But then I guess if you are used to something higher you would notice the difference?
Maximus
Site Admin

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:42 am

m8internet wrote:M

If I was buying now I would also ditch the plasma and go for LCD
Just wondered why you would go for LCD now over Plasma?
Maximus
Site Admin

m8internet

Post by m8internet » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:05 pm

maximus wrote:I guess if you are used to something higher you would notice the difference?
You only notice the fast sub-field on fast action movie scenes, epecially those with vast contrast difference
I converted one of my bedrooms into a TV "home cinema" room and so the highest spec TV was essential (sound was not an issue as it is separate)
m8internet.com

m8internet

Post by m8internet » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:07 pm

maximus wrote:Just wondered why you would go for LCD now over Plasma?
Plasma is old technology now, large bulky and heavy in comparison
The LCD also has better contrast control
Finally, you will not get any image retention in a LCD, compared to the amount you get in a plasma
m8internet.com