How to make sure 3D TV Never Takes Off!!

Anything to do with large screen TV's, Freesat, Sky, BluRay etc

Moderators: bob, jthspace

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

How to make sure 3D TV Never Takes Off!!

Post by maximus » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:11 pm

I am a bit mystified by this but, if you want to get Sky's rather limited 3D channel you also have to take their entire TV package!! That's over £60 per month for a load of channels you mostly do not want, the majority of which are not in HD. How exactly is that going to convince people of the merits of 3D tv?

Looks like we'll be sticking with 3D BluRay and 3D PS3 games for now then.

Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Re: How to make sure 3D TV Never Takes Off!!

Post by jthspace » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:29 pm

Weird, they advertise it as available to HD subscribers.

I became an HD subscriber for £10 per month which replaced the Sky+ subscription, so I got Sky+ and HD for the £10

Cant you take a basic mix with HD?

Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:56 pm

Spoke to them today and although we have the variety pack @£12.95 pm and the HD pack @£10 per month it doesn't count. You must take the full Sky package including Movies, Sports etc and the total cost of that comes out at over £60pm. I checked and double checked.

I'm thinking they will have to come out with some offer because not many people are going to pay over £60 per month for a handful of 3D channels.
Maximus
Site Admin

bob
Great Britain

Post by bob » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:23 pm

Robbing b*stards ! I have just had the same conversation with sky! no way I am going to fork out £60 pm
for the sake of a few progs in 3d, back to the drawing-board :cry:

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:38 am

I just don't get it. Obviously there is an investment in bringing out Europe's first 3D channel but how are they going to recoup that if people cannot afford to get the channel? Funny thing is they say it's free...but "free" means no cost and at the moment it costs a heck of a lot to get that "free" channel! :twisted:
Maximus
Site Admin

m8internet

Post by m8internet » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:45 am

I noticed that recently and laughed
Clearly when there is basically a second filming unit the costs are higher and have to be paid somehow

I still haven't upgraded to a HD TV service, in the same way as Virgin Media "demand" that I upgrade from my current M+ package to the XL package most of which I would not use; however, at least there are more than just the five HD channels there were this time last year
It is a shame the internal Freeview cannot be upgraded to Freeview HD
Professional website hosting
m8internet.com

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:37 am

Sky clearly have the greatest selection of HD channels, many of which we do watch from time to time so I don't mind paying the extra £10 pm for that. The only thing I can think of as to why Sky have locked the 3D channel into the top tier package for the moment is there are not great numbers of 3D sets out there yet and so if they were to simply charge an extra fee for it they would not see a return for a very long time. Makes sense I suppose but a bit frustrating for those who do have a 3D set but can't justify the £60+ per month subscription fee.
Maximus
Site Admin

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:19 am

I just realised why Sky are making people take the top tier package in order to get Sky 3D. Obvious really. They have the exclusive on the screening of Avatar 3D on Christmas day and since you can't officially buy it retail until the end of 2011 because of another exclusive tie in with Panasonic they obviously hope people will fork out the extra for some top end Christmas day viewing.
Avatar, the biggest grossing film in cinematic history, will be given its 3D TV world premiere this Christmas Eve when it is broadcast on Sky 3D (channel 217) at 8pm.

Sky 3D is available to all Sky+ HD customers who have a 3D TV and Sky’s top TV package.

Other programs confirmed for Sky’s 3D channel include:

- Sir David Attenborough’s Flying Monsters 3D – a ground breaking documentary about the evolution of pterosaurs
- The Prince’s Trust Rock Gala 3D – featuring Tom Jones, Eric Clapton and Brian May
- Alice in Wonderland – Tim Burton’s reworking starring Johnny Depp will be broadcast New Year’s Eve

3D viewers will also be able to live Barclays Premier League matches played over Christmas including; Chelsea vs Manchester United (19th December) Man City vs Everton (20th December) Arsenal vs Chelsea (27th December) and Liverpool vs Wolves (29th December).

From 6th January Sky 3D will exclusively broadcast all three of Disney/Pixar’s Toy Story films in 3D.

However, while Toy Story and Toy Story 2 will be free in 3D, Toy Story 3 3D will only be available as pay-per-view, which may rankle Sky customers already paying for the top end package.
I already have the 3D version of Avatar which unfortunately we can't watch because our PS3 has not arrived and won't now turn up until probably sometime next week. Still, no loss, a few days won't hurt.
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:41 pm

Did you get the extended version? Has extra at beginning which explains the substitution. for example

J

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:36 pm

jthspace wrote:Did you get the extended version? Has extra at beginning which explains the substitution. for example

J
Yeah I have both the 3D and the Extended version. Would have been nice if the PS3 arrived of course so we could watch in 3D but only ordered it 4 days ago so I guess that was leaving it a bit late. Got plenty to keep us busy over the holiday though ;)
Maximus
Site Admin