Anything to do with large screen TV's, Freesat, Sky, BluRay etc

Moderators: bob, jthspace

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

12 Months later, how many 3D sets now?

Post by maximus » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:42 pm

Just wondered how many people have gone for a 3D tv now? It's been over 12 months since we got ours and we have not really used the 3d functionality much. This is in part due to the high cost of buying extra pairs of the active shutter glasses (only one pair with the set!) and partly due to the lack of any decent 3d programming.

Sky have not helped matters by doggedly hanging on to the requirement to buy their Sky World package at over £60 per month just to get the single 3d channel.

I am thinking things just will not take off until there is cheap and diverse 3d viewing available to everyone.

Maximus
Site Admin

m8internet

Re: 12 Months later, how many 3D sets now?

Post by m8internet » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:01 pm

I can see the benefits for some viewing, some of the time

I always had my doubts about it
However, I recently watched Tron Legacy (standard version) on DVD and clearly this film was made for 3D with the way in which some scenes were filmed
Equally, I would liked to have seen this in the cinema in the 3D format (I was working, then ill, then catching up)

As I tend to watch two or three films a week, this is one such film I would happily watch at home in 3D
I would then expand my collection to include other such films

Apart from that, I would not pay £50 per month for such a TV channel
I have still not upgraded to HD TV, I was not convinced about that either after a recent comparison
Professional website hosting
m8internet.com

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:26 pm

Well the only true 3D film we have watched so far is Avatar which was quite impressive. Most others stuff has been via the 2D to 3D function but the results vary with that from very good to hardly noticeable depending on the source material.

Just got Attenborough's Flying Monsters in 3D but not watched it yet. Need to get hold of some more glasses and also want to upgrade the dvd player to a 3D version to save using the PS3. The PS3 works of course but it's a bit of a drag using a game controller to control a dvd.

I did think about going for an LG 3D TV that uses the Real 3D tech so cheap 99p glasses could be used but given the recent appearance on the market of glasses free 3D tv's I think I will hold off and see how that develops.

We do have Sky's HD pack but it's a bit of a con because many of the channels although claiming to be HD are in fact not. Channels like Nat Geo HD broadcast in a format that shrinks to screen to about two thirds of your screen and the resolution is pitiful. How they can honestly call it HD I don't know. Also many of these Discovery, History, Nat Geo HD channels programming is pretty dire. Most times you get a program that could be fitted into 20 minutes but they spend a lot of time repeating the same stuff over and over to fill in an hour slot.

Wondering when the BBC will crawl out of the dark ages and start transmitting things like BBC News 24 in HD. Sky News HD is good but too many adverts and way too much sports news.
Maximus
Site Admin

m8internet

Post by m8internet » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:13 pm

The good thing with Avatar it was not as obvious it was intended for 3D effect
I completely forgot about that until rewatching it recently, but it was really obvious in Tron Legacy
m8internet.com

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:22 pm

Yeah sometimes the 3D effect is overdone and makes the whole thing look very artificial.

Have you tried the "Real 3D" as used on the LG sets? It's very effective and there's no darkening of the image which you get with active shutter glasses 3D. That's my only real gripe with our set. Also there is a very slight flicker sometimes which can be annoying. None of that with Real 3D. This and the cheapness of the glasses was the main reason I was looking to upgrade but the damned tech keeps moving so fast it's hard to make the jump, especially knowing that full resolution glasses free 3D is in the offing.
Maximus
Site Admin

m8internet

Post by m8internet » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:09 pm

As above, don't have a 3D TV, and have no plans to buy one
m8internet.com

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:26 pm

Yeah but have you tried one?
Maximus
Site Admin

m8internet

Post by m8internet » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:58 pm

maximus wrote:Yeah but have you tried one?
Yes, but as above found was limited to specific items on (expensive) TV channels and really low availability of BluRay
Fine if you want to watch a film, I will quite happily wear the glasses for up to 3 hours
However, I have not yet found a suitable pair for those that already wear glasses!
Glasses on top of glasses, doesn't really work...

Ask me again in 3 or 4 years time
It will then be time to replace my plasma TV and DVD player, both of which I bought last year just as 3D was being launched
m8internet.com

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:58 pm

I agree the situation for people who wear glasses is not great. I wear reading glasses but am at that inbetween point where i find i now need them to see the tv clearly but not to drive etc. I can wear the 3D glasses over my reading glasses but it's not ideal.

Things are moving fast in the world of 3D but will be a while before we have affordable glasses free 3D for everone.
Maximus
Site Admin

m8internet

Post by m8internet » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:22 pm

Should be able to get clip-on versions eventually (similar to sunglasses)
Equally, if I do replace everything then I would consider contact lenses

However my eyesight has started to change again
Short sighted, turning back to normal as I get older
So have to wear glasses almost all the time (no chance of seeing a TV clearly, and can just about read a laptop)
m8internet.com

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:59 pm

I'm surprised they haven't come out with clip-ons already given the amount of people who do wear glasses. Seems a strange omission when you think about it. For me I think it's only going to be glasses from now on as I definitely can't use a laptop or tablet without glasses :( Hoping someone will come up with something in the next ten years or so to reverse that situation.
Maximus
Site Admin

m8internet

Post by m8internet » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:28 pm

maximus wrote:I'm surprised they haven't come out with clip-ons already given the amount of people who do wear glasses
They are available, but you do have to seek and search
You then have the issue over the different systems of 3D technology and making sure you get the right ones!

These claim to be suitable :
http://www.3dgb.co.uk/Clip-3D-Glasses-G ... B00454WCDA

However I have tried to find a pair for a Panasonic 3D HD TV, active shutter, and nothing found

Plenty for the polarising type though, suitable for passive, pub, cinema, etc
As above, these come in at about £6
m8internet.com

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:31 pm

Went to look at TV's last weekend - went to Comet to look at options and played with an LG 3D TV with the cheap cinema type glasses. Impressive if you looked at it straight on, with screen tilted slight down. However, viewed from the side (as you would in our front room for certain seats) then you got slight double vision - demonstrator admitted that this was an issue. If we had a room to use as a cinema, where everyone was looking "straight" then I "might" have been tempted; however, I was able to walk away with no regrets.

I am buying another LG (have had one for nearly three years, HD Ready) and am upgrading to a full HD version - the difference between HD Ready and full HD is clearly visible, especially when comparing LG (or Samsung) panels to other manufacturers. Anyway, got it on Amazon for £385 delivered, nearly £100 cheaper than anyone else (32" Freeview, Full HD, Internet). Delivered this Friday . . . .

Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:14 pm

Yeah the viewing angle is a bit of a problem although it doesn't seem too bad on our Samsung.

Apparently the new glasses free 3D sets track each viewers position so everyone sees true 3D over a wide angle. Also it's always full HD which in 3D mode current sets aren't, they halve the resolution for each side of the picture. However since 3D programming is still very thin on the ground there is still no compelling reason to splash out large amounts of cash on a new set. We are very happy with our 40" Samsung in both it's 2D and 3D mode for now so will be a while before we upgrade.
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:00 pm

Well Samsung and LG have always used the latest generation of panels, with other manufacturers catching up - hence the supermarket sets being much cheaper, but not as defined in the picture front, as their panels are one or two generations behind.

Hopefully their position at the forefront will continue.