Anything to do with large screen TV's, Freesat, Sky, BluRay etc

Moderators: bob, jthspace

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Just bought a LG42LW550T Passive 3D TV

Post by maximus » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:44 pm

Although our year old Samsung was a fine tv, the active shutter 3D tech that it came with was proving to be less than fantastic. For a start the glasses are a ridiculous price and they only provide one pair with the set, we never got around to buying a second pair! Also when you watch anything in 3D the picture darkens quite considerably and there is a mild but noticeable flicker which causes eye strain and headaches after a while.

So, decided to go down the passive 3D router with LG's Cinema 3D tech. This is the same as that used in cinemas and only requires cheap light weight glasses of which LG provides a very useful 7 pairs with each tv! :)

Results so far are damned good. For a start the picture doesn't dim in 3D mode, in fact it's much brighter than 2D :) The 3D effect is much more in evidence and this goes for the 2D to 3D mode also, which I found far more immersive than on the Samsung.

I'll admit the Samsung has the edge on overall picture quality and yes, active shutter is "technically" superior to passive 3D however, unless you put the sets side by side you would hardly notice the difference and infact I would go as far as to say the LG's passive system gives the "effect" of being superior because you really do actually notice the 3D working. Objects do jump out of the screen at you and the sense of depth is much greater than anything I ever noticed on the Samsung.

Personally I could not go back to active shutter glasses. The picture may be slightly softer with the LG but the lack of headaches and the ridiculously cheap glasses make up for that shortcoming in a big way :)

Oh and the media streaming is a lot better on the LG :)

http://www.froogle.richersounds.com/pro ... lg-42lw550

Maximus
Site Admin

m8internet

Re: Just bought a LG42LW550T Passive 3D TV

Post by m8internet » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:22 pm

maximus wrote:So, decided to go down the passive 3D router with LG's Cinema 3D tech. This is the same as that used in cinemas and only requires cheap light weight glasses of which LG provides a very useful 7 pairs with each tv!
I've always wondered this
If I was going 3D then I would make sure the glasses were the same as those used at the cinema
Professional website hosting
m8internet.com

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:52 am

Just finished watching Avatar 3D again. Thought it would be a good comparison. On the Samsung with the active 3D it was kind of hard to watch at times because the picture was so dark. Also as you know it is quite a long movie, well over 2hrs I think? so by the time it had finished I had a headache and really tired eyes. Contrast that with tonight and using the passive system. Completely forgot I was wearing the glasses, bright vivid picture, noticed a lot of things I had missed before and not a sign of headache or fatigue. I would say that's a definite result :)

By the way, I notice LG have come out with a range of more stylish glasses including clip ons for those of us who wear prescription glasses. Oh and the cinema glasses are definitely the same as the ones issued by LG. Had two pairs here that I tested and they are identical so now I have 9 pairs! :)
Maximus
Site Admin

m8internet

Post by m8internet » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:33 pm

Might nip down to Richer Sounds and order a pair of those clip-on options
The cinema supply a pair, but completely uncomfortable to wearers of glasses
On my last (and only) visit to watch a 3D film I had to quit watching the film after 20 minutes, they refunded me the full amount and allowed me to watch the standard film instead
Professional website hosting
m8internet.com