Anything to do with large screen TV's, Freesat, Sky, BluRay etc

Moderators: bob, jthspace

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

New TV

Post by jthspace » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:15 pm

Well, just got my first pension pay-out ( early, before any snide remarks . . :) ) and treated ourselves to a new TV.

After the LG snafu of monitoring what you did, I decided to go Samsung. For info, LG and Samsung always have the first of the latest generation LCD displays, so always worth looking at them first.

Anyway, our lounge can only take a 32" screen comfortably, so the choice was limited. Sadly, more later, the best TV and price was PC World / Currys. Having then tried to buy one, discovered "only available in store" and the nearest in-stock was Harlow in Essex (about a 30 mile drive). Reserved it. Reason for PCW/C was they were about £150 cheaper than other suppliers for the Smart TV of choice. Took mogadon in preparation.

Anyway, the frustrating part (and why EVERY time I use PCW/C I say "never afcuking again") we arrived at the store and joined a queue for the "Reserved, Pay Here" buyers. Got to the front of the queue and offered my debit card and was told I have to see a salesman first - luckily my partner was with me and she kept me calm. So, off the person behind the counter goes and finds a salesman. There is a moving herd varying between 5 and 10 sales-staff there, but no TV sales staff. Take second mogadon.

Salesman approaches and says "I want to talk about your purchase, now we have some nice . . . . ." I say "I just want the TV, I have seen your £80 HDMI cables (yes, really £80!) and my £3 ones work just as well so can I please have my TV that I have reserved?" "OK" he says, "take this ticket to the "Reserved, Pay Here" section and queue and pay for the TV and someone will then take your order and collect the TV for you"

"BUT I HAVE JUST BEEN THERE FOR 20 MINUTES TRYING TO PAY . . . " I start to scream - take third mogadon as it is forced between my lips by Maureen.

Resist urge to smack him one and walk out - but nearest other PCW/C store is Stevenage in Hertfordshire.

Pay for TV and a ticket goes to another sales person who disappears into the depth of the warehouse. 5 minutes later, appears with the TV and says "please queue over there so someone can stamp your receipt as "collected"". WTF, can't he use a rubber stamp?

Nice chap comes over, stamps the receipt and offers to take it to the car. The box is so light, I wonder if there is a TV inside. I convince him I can manage, clutch the TV box to my chest (possession is 11/10ths of the law) and scoot out before anyone can sell me batteries, extended warranty, cables, toasters or something else. Take something for the migrane which is starting . . . . . .

I have other PCW/C stories, but reliving the above has taken the edge off life.

Jeff :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: New TV

Post by maximus » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:16 pm

Jeff, that may have been a traumatic experience for you but I nearly fell off my seat laughing :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to admit to being a bit of a pain in the ass when I visit Currys/PCW. Depending on my mood and how much time I have I either cut them off immediately and get out with my purchase asap or...I ask endless questions to which I know they have no clue about :twisted:

On the plus side at least they are now charging decent prices on larger items. Pricing of HDMI cables is a scandal and they should be prosecuted for trying to deceive and rip off the unsuspecting public.

Still got our 42" LG 3D Smart TV. Can't fault it myself and we are looking to upgrade to a 50 or 60" sometime next year (2014). We have a small living room also but with HD it doesn't really matter. The quality is bang on no matter how close you are to it.

As for the LG data fiasco thing, as far as I am aware our tv has never sent out any data but if it had I can't say I am too bothered...would be nice if they asked first of course. I still watch what I want to watch so any stats they have are not really going to be of much use. In any case we mostly use it for watching DVD's and Netflix, Lovefilm etc.

So how is the TV? What you expected?
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:04 pm

I dropped it.

joke :)

It is very very good, excellent picture, of course. Lots of connectivity. I have a USB HD attached to record from DTV, a Roku box for Internet TV, it connects wirelessly to my NAS for music and video and to the Sky box as well. Can't fault it. It even asks to connect to my phone. Only issue I had, which flummoxed me for a few hours was no sound thru the HDMI so researched it on the web and made a couple of changes and now all OK. Other great thing is it has an infra red repeater built in. Just tell it what you have attached, sky box for example, turning the tv on or off does the same to the sky box. All for £360 and for a Smart TV, that isn't bad.

Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:33 pm

Sounds good. Only thing that slightly annoys me about smart tv's is the variation in the way apps like Netflix, Lovefilm and iPlayer are implemented. For example we can get all three on the tv and the PS3 but there are less movies and tv series listed when using the tv apps than if we go through the PS3. Bit of a pain but we mostly use the PS3 now or the YouView box although the latter is a bit sluggish to respond.

All those adverts for youview which show people seamlessly scrolling through the EPG and playing catch up tv are not really reflective of how it is.
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:35 pm

Which is why I still have the Roku box as it has a good netflix implementation as well as being able to play USB sticks, other catch-up channels etc. If you have a standard TV, then a Roku box makes it Smart for very little money.

J