Anything to do with large screen TV's, Freesat, Sky, BluRay etc

Moderators: bob, jthspace

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

New Gadget

Post by jthspace » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:07 pm

Well I have been looking at Broadband / TV packages for a holiday home and didn't really want to spend a fortune on something that won't be used that much (because the UK weather is going to be great and I will be on the beach all day every day etc) - BUT the pessimist in me says it will be pouring with rain at least 5 out of 7 days a week :)

So . . . . .

Cheap Phone and Broadband, and Internet TV.

I have a Roku box which gives me some channels as well as Netflix and Blinkbox but I wanted something that could be "adapted" to also give me a wider selection. I have read a lot about a little Chinese Android box called an MK808B which, out of the box, gives you Android 4.1 on a mini PC about the size of a KitKat bar. Lots of mods available for it, tweaks, hacks etc. I have ordered one with a customised ROM and XMBC loaded, along with the necessary links to 1,000's of TV channels (free and not-so-free officially).

As lots of lnks to streamed TV channels are now blocked by ISP's due to court orders, the ability to view IPTV has become more difficult. A couple of PC/iPad/XMBC programs are listed below for people to try themselves.

FilmOn - streams 1,000's of TV channels from Worldwide sources and has a dedicated UK TV section. Free version is OK, paid version gives you record capability.

CatchUp TV - streams UK channels, but not as good as they used to be as some channels were removed following court action.

NOTE : If you have an iPad / iPhone the above apps WILL WORK with an HDMI out cable (tested today).

The XMBC will run on lots of OS's and, interestingly, a users set-up is transferrable between (for example) a PC install, an Android install, a Linux install, an Xbox install etc. so you only need to set it up once and can transfer it to other units.

The unit I have bought . . .

Model MK808B
RC12 Remote keyboard and mouse ( The mouse works like a laptop mouse)

The stock ROM will be used unless you specify that you would like the Finless custom ROM installed instead

FREE MOVIES, FREE TV CHANNELS FROM AROUND THE WORLD, FREE ***SPORTS, FREE ** SPORTS

Turn any TV with an HDMI port into a Smart TV,

Play games, listen to music, watch videos, stream media, browse the web, email and social networking.

The operating system is Android version 4.2.2.

The system comes preinstalled with XBMC "Frodo" 12.3

Aptoide is installed, This is an app market which offers more apps than Google Play

(Google play and all the standard apps you would expect to find are also installed)

XBMC is installed with (navi-x, sportsdevil, filmi by nature, hulu, mashup, videodevil, icefilms, 1channel, fastpassTV, free movies) as standard,

navi-x, allows access to other users playlists

Each addon is tested to ensure that it starts and that no script errors occur. Fusion, Finity and Superrepo are installed as standard so that you can install ANY other addon that either is available or becomes available (EASY TO USE). Four mouse clicks to install almost any XBMC addon.

VIDEOMIX PRO is installed, This is an app which allows access to movies and TV shows

If you want MOVIX installed, then I will but its identical to Videomix so seems a little pointless!!!!

XBMC This app is Xbox Media Centre and is the best media centre available for Android. I install the following repositories to enable easy installation of the majority of new Add-ons for XBMC ( Four clicks to install your selected addon)

Sportsdevil..... To view live sports from around the world (includes sky sports). Pick the sport rather than the channel. Currently not very good. Use Mashup or Navi-x!!

Videodevil...... For all your adult movie requirements (Will not be installed if requested)
Navi-x....... Streamed Movies and Sports and TV channels from around the world
Mashup...... Streamed Movies and Sports and TV channels from around the world
Icefilms...... Streamed Movies, Old and New
1Channel..... Streamed Movies, Old and New
Filmi by Nature...... Streamed Bollywood Movies
Desirulez........ More Bollywood

Awaiting deliver, will update with a report when I have it to-hand.

Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: New Gadget

Post by maximus » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:53 pm

Looks like a very interesting little gadget there Jeff. Might get one myself. Looking forward to an update once you get it.
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:01 pm

Well, if you have a PC (!) or Android device, load XMBC (free download) and have a play. I did this on my laptop prior to ordering so as to get an idea of what it looks like. I had XMBC on a hacked Apple TV ages ago and it was buggy but it looks good on my Dell.

Will update later in the week.

J

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:38 pm

Got a couple of Dell's here so will give it a go. Reminds me of the good old days of motorised satellited dishes and hacked cards :)
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:48 pm

Ahhhhh! those were the days . . . . . . .

I also saw an ad for the same kind of box for ex-pats in SPain and they were charging 100's of £/€ for these.

I have to say, these are not plug and play, streams may work, or crash half way thru so they are for "enthusiasts".

As to streams, have a look at http://www.time4tv.com/ to see what I mean. I expect this site will also be blocked by the various ISP's before too long though.

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:58 pm

Will be very surprised if that doesn't go down very quickly! They seem to be tightening the screws quite fast these days. I don't really mind paying for channels but I want to ONLY pay for the channels I want, not the one or two I'm interested in and the 30 that I'm not! Give people real choice and perhaps there would be no need for these types of site?
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:16 pm

:) maybe £1 per channel per month, minimum £15 say, I would.

Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:51 am

Yep, definitely. Had this discussion with Sky before but of course that's a waste of time. They simply go into "scripted mode" telling you what great value for money it is and what great choice you have, completely ignoring the obvious fact that you have, in fact no choice at all. There is no cable out here but I would imagine Virgin are the same.

Nice to see more BBC HD channels on FreeView now though. Been waiting an eternity for BBC News 24 to move to HD. Would be nice if they didn't just cover 4 or 5 stories though. Not exactly value for money when you consider how much is actually happening in the world?

Ah well, enough griping. Best get on and do some work!
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:36 pm

Gizmo arrived today, along with new vertical blinds, so guess what was more important. Blinds are up. Had to go for eye test for the diabetes, all OK of course, but once you are in the system, there is no escape! Brilliant service though.

Had a 20 minute play with Gizmo, one word, AMAZING, my TV is now an Android tablet running Jelly Bean. Has been rooted as well. Now to install CWM for making a complete backup for safety before I start mucking about with it. Has a known fault, very deaf WiFi but there is a 10 sec fix and I will try that before fitting a proper antenna or a wireless repeater.

More soon.

Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:40 pm

Sounds exciting....not the eye test of course ;) Always interesting to play with a new gadget. Not had any for quite a while now apart from the Surface. Still, new phone is just a couple of months off :)

Will definitely be ordering one of those MK808B's soon I think. Pity about the name. Couldn't they have been a little more imaginative?
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:47 pm

Well, the same box is made by half a dozen different factories and there are clones and there are fakes as well, so you have to be careful. I got mine from this link, and am happy (so far) - once I have a proper play I will report back. I have to open it up to see what chips are inside so as to find out what ROMs and tweaks can be put on mine, putting the wrong rom on can wipe wifi and bluetooth support as the wrong drivers will be loaded. A bit of a nightmare to recover from a wrong burn. I found a great website (for info) and my machine has the Jelly Bean OS and Finless ROM.

Machine purchased from

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-Smart-TV ... 2a35c720c2

Other website

http://www.freaktab.com/forumdisplay.php?2-Main-Forum

Jeff