Raspberry Pi or Arduino Projects to Show Off

General discussion about computer hardware of all types be it Mac, PC, Raspberry Pi etc

Moderators: bob, jthspace, maximus

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Thu May 25, 2017 9:26 pm

Has anyone been doing any tinkering with these yet?

Bth
Great Britain

Re: Raspberry Pi or Arduino Projects to Show Off

Post by Bth » Fri May 26, 2017 9:02 am

Not in relation to a Motorbike :p, have built 1 into a remote control car, and another into a media server. Might have to put the car back together at some point and take some video. (both using the PI)

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Fri May 26, 2017 11:15 am

Good point there Ben. Have moved this into another section.

Remarkably versatile things these Raspberry Pi kits. People are using them for all sorts of projects both large and small. Not sure what I would use one for myself but I was wondering if there might be some musical type applications that might be useful in the home studio here. Will have to do a bit of research.

How is the media server one working out? Capabilities? Features?

Bth
Great Britain

Post by Bth » Fri May 26, 2017 6:45 pm

In a nut shell it runs Kodi, networked to my SAN to pick up all of the DVDs that we have bought over the years.

As it's Kodi it has all of those legit plugins for Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.

It sits in a tiny box under the TV and never really gets used, I did it to prove that it could be done. The latest gen ones will run Windows 10 IoT so tempted to see what useless application I could write to send data into the cloud.

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Fri May 26, 2017 6:54 pm

I thought that whole 'Kodi' thing was being stomped on or is that just the boxes that allow free access to pay channels and not the software itself?

Bth
Great Britain

Post by Bth » Fri May 26, 2017 6:59 pm

The software is open source do what you want with it, it comes down the age old debate of things like Limewire and p2p, the software is technically legal, what you do with it isn't.

The clamp down is currently on people selling pre loaded kits with the intention of the buyers breaking the law.

Kodi as a platform is pretty cool, it replaces our smart TV and gives us the latest updates without having to wait for Samsung to patch it.

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Fri May 26, 2017 7:15 pm

Ahh ok that's interesting. Had been thinking about Kodi for a while but since we have a new Samsung TV I wasn't sure if it would be worth it. I'm trying to get down to as few boxes and remote controls as possible. Right now we have the tv which has two remotes, a simple one which I use for everything and a traditional one which I hardly ever use.

Next up we have the YouView box which really I would like to ditch, especially since the last software update which in my opinion made the interfaces worse and slower to respond.

And then there is the remote for the Yamaha SRT-1000 sound-base. Can't really ditch that one though because as with most flat tv's the sound is sort of "ok" from the tv speakers but not really suitable for movies and music.

Would be ideal if I could just have the tv and one remote. Still trying to get there though.

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Fri May 26, 2017 8:25 pm

Have a Panasonic TV and a Panasonic Soundbox with a Sky Q box. The sky remote turns the TV and Sky Q box on, the TV turns the soundbox on so we only need one remote 90% of the time. If I choose HDMI 1 on the TV it turns the Apple TV box on and the soundbox automatically switches inputs. Same auto switch for the Blueray player. Only need the Apple remote when switched to that. Never use the blueray player as I stream to the Apple TV from the mac or iPad.

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Fri May 26, 2017 8:30 pm

That made my head hurt! :lol:

Perhaps I'm asking form something that does not yet exist? Will have to do a bit of research...although I don't think changing a 6 month old tv is probably in the offing right now. Anyway that's IF a more all-in-one solution exists and even if it did it probably costs the same as a small house.

Bth
Great Britain

Post by Bth » Fri May 26, 2017 8:42 pm

2 remotes here, one for the sound bar, which is usually on or off, maybe switch to Bluetooth for music.

And the TV / other one that is all setup for everything else.

If we include games consoles.. Then there is the xbox1 and Switch too.

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Fri May 26, 2017 8:57 pm

maximus wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 8:30 pm
That made my head hurt! :lol:
I am using HDMI ARC so,it's all automatic. If your TV is only 6 months old, then you have it as well.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-thea ... orks-care/

Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Fri May 26, 2017 9:11 pm

Well it's "supposed" to be all automatic but for some reason it has a mind of it's own. Sometimes when you turn on the YouView box the tv will come on but not other times. All seems to be a bit hit and miss.

The Yamaha is connected via optical cable but that seems to be ignored as far as triggering the on/off on the TV. With our previous LG tv the soundbar used to to also turn on the tv.

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Fri May 26, 2017 9:27 pm

I bought some cables from Amazon as my old ones were £1 specials, got these and they work fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1