Update broke my computer...wondering why?

General discussion about computer hardware of all types be it Mac, PC, Raspberry Pi etc

Moderators: bob, jthspace, maximus

dineshjain
Algeria

Update broke my computer...wondering why?

Post by dineshjain » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:50 am

My HP Laptop needed to be updated this morning when I turned it on. It took 40 minutes to go through the update and when it restarted it took me to a screen where I had to select my keyboard. Then it would take me to a screen where it wanted me to rollback Windows. Long story short, non of the troubleshooting options worked or got me to the desktop. With ny limited knowledge of this stuff my only option was to click and poke around looking for the option to reset windows. I finally found Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire it and reset the pc, completely reinstalling Windows again. My question probably can't be definitively answered, but why did the update "break" my computer? Did the update mess with files and caused my computer to go haywire? Was it a drive issue? A hardware issue? Just curious if anyone knows why this would happen, it was incredibly frustrating. I am able to troubleshoot and use Google and Youtube as resources to try to figure stuff out but don't have the knowledge to do much more.