Post your pics and info here

Moderators: bob, jthspace, maximus

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Looking at . .

Post by jthspace » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:37 pm

. . . another bike tomorrow. Love the Gilera for the station and local run, but miss the bigger engine. Looking at a Yamaha XVS650 tomorrow, it is a late 90's machine with under 10,000 miles on it. Looks like it has never been out in the rain during it's life. Don't need the "horses", rather something that doesn't rev at 9,000 to do 50!

More news soon . . .

Ride safely,

Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: Looking at . .

Post by maximus » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:26 pm

Very nice bike Jeff. Definitely jealous now :(

In terms of weather it's not a great time to buy a bike but in terms of price there probably isn't a better time :)

Will be interested to take a look if you get it. The Triumph needs a bit of a run out.

As for myself I still haven't decided what to do. Was all set to go for a BMW 1200GS and then Triumph announced their 1200 Shaft Drive Explorer! It's not in the stores yet but I have a test ride booked for when it does appear, which I think should be March or April. Still, at about 11 grand I'll need a lottery win or some devious plan to come up with the money...where there's a will there's a way and all that :)
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:20 pm

Yeah, good price which is why I will keep the 125 until March or April before selling! I was surprised that the Yam can be restricted to 33bhp if required - not that I need that having passed my test back when we had someone walking in front with a red flag, O.K. not quite that long ago, but near enough!

It's only 40bhp but peaks at 3000 revs so is relaxed cruising rather than full-on power. I will only be riding for pleasure anyway.

Will try and update tomorrow . . .

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Hey Jeff how did it go with the Yam? Was a nice day for looking at bikes :)

I passed my test in 1979. Back then you had an examiner who stood by the side of the road whilst you rode around the block and then he would jump out for you to do your emergency stop! Then it was I think just six questions on the highway code and job done! Who knows what carnage would ensue if today's young riders only had to do that much to get a license!!!
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:20 pm

Well, not too good - the speedo may have been "low mileage" but it was a different view on the bike - looked rather more used than indicated. Nevermind, in no rush, so will look further. Have also seen a XV535 advertised and it is fairly near so may take a trip out next Saturday to look at that. Will update as I progress . . .

Beat you by a couple of years on the test, '77, and yes, the test was a bit of a joke! Was told by a friend to set the mirrors out of line so you had to use exaggerated head movements to use them. Was told after the test that I had good mirror use! Mind you, had been driving a bike since 72 (Honda C50) and only took the test because we were going to the South of France for a holiday (Honda 250 Super Dream)!

Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:04 pm

Ahh those were the days. Honda 250 Superdream. Never owned one but they were great bikes. I had a Suzuki GT380 at the time although I doubt I would have taken that to the South Of France.

Hate that, when you go to look at a bike and it's not what it was made out to be. Seems some peoples notion of "good condition" leaves a lot to be desired. The XV535 is a nice bike. Only thing I don't like is the fake plastic tank although having the fuel under the seat does keep the centre of gravity low down.
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:41 pm

They replaced the fake tank and added a real one in the early 90's so the ones I am looking at all have a filler where it should have. Although I saw an immaculate 89 on eBay on an 89 plate which I considered for a moment.

Will update as the search continues . . .