Post your pics and info here

Moderators: bob, jthspace, maximus

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Been and done it . . .

Post by jthspace » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:06 pm

Got a Yamaha XV535 as the (poor) picture below.

Awaiting the chance to pick it up, maybe early next week. Now have to sort out the insurance, had a range of just under £100 up to £180 for fully comp - the higher one with breakdown insurance / euro cover.

It's a 1997 with 12,000 on the clock, so under a 1000 per year average. Came with 12 months tax & MOT and a full service, but I will be looking after the oil etc. going forward. Seems to be a bike that has a lot of D.I.Y. capability and spares etc. are plentiful. Need to get a decent disc lock for when parked and it will have an alarm fitted by myself at an early stage - they are not much cop for serious thieves, but a 100 dB screamer will keep oiks away. Oh, and a Nautilus horn - those will make cagers ears bleed!

bob
Great Britain

Re: Been and done it . . .

Post by bob » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:19 pm

NIce one Jeff,
methinks this little beauty, will keep you busy for a while, have fun bob

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:16 pm

Mostly polishing chrome, me thinks. Looking forward to seeing if Max and Sasha are up for a meet. Maybe a Raid to Le Touquet for lunch?

It's having a PDI, MOT etc on Monday so may get it towards the end of next week. Hope the weather stays like it is, could get a few miles on it.

Jeff

bob
Great Britain

Post by bob » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:18 pm

your a braver man than I Jeff, too bloody cold for me this weather and bikes, it has got to be 7-8 weeks since I last went out for a spin, as for insurance give carol nash a try,

atb bob

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:29 pm

Nice one Jeff! and yes we're definitely up for a ride out somewhere :)

I do envy you the shaft drive. I absolutely loath chains and the one on the Triumph needs replacing which is not a job I am looking forward to as the swinging arm has to come off! Back when I was dispatching I had a large heated garage and that meant It was not such a chore to work on bikes throughout the winter but these days it's bloody freezing out there and the last thing I want to be doing is sitting in the cold messing about with the chain :(

I am a big fan of v-twins. Used to have a Yamaha TR-1 which is basically the 1000cc version of your engine. Not shaft drive but it did have a fully enclosed chain which required next to no maintenance. Pulled like a train and very nimble on the bendy stuff :)

I guess we have been pretty lucky with the Winter so far. Temps have not been too bad and we have even had some mild days. It's not so much the cold that bothers me though. It's these slippery lanes around here and the endless pot holes that worry me. 20-30 years ago I would not have given it a second thought but as you get older you become ever more aware of your own mortality and that sense you didn't have in youth, namely "caution" plays an ever greater part in day to day life.

Let us know when your up for a meet ok :)
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:34 pm

Yep, chain maintenance is a pain, remember stinking the kitchen out boiling up a chain in a can of chain lube, the stuff set hard like boot polish and you stuck it on the gas ring on the stove and it went liquid, drop the chain in for 5 minutes, lift, drain and refit.

My mother was not amused, maybe because the day before I had half a crankcase in the oven heating it up and the new bearings in the fridge cooling down. Mum didn't accept this was normal!

Does your chain split? Can you join the new one to the old one and feed it through? Saw a nice home made wheel alignment gizmo using two laser pointers and a wooden frame, they needed it because the bike had a big fairing and they couldn't get a length of string around the front and rear wheels.

My sister has a house near Le Touquet and it is a nice run down, takes less than an hour from the Tunnel, or about an hour from Calais, depending if you take the boat or train; maybe a Spring visit if you feel up to it? Nice steak/frites. Can taste them already!

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:40 pm

Oh yes...remember the tin of chain lube very well! That's why most of my bikes have been shaft drive :)

Technically yes you could split the chain and use a split link but the power output of the bike would make that a less than sensible decision. I think the feeling is since you only need to change the chain every 20k, as long as you maintain it of course then it's a price worth paying? My feeling is that a chain costs around £130 and if you get a garage to change it your probably looking at another £70-100 on top so that is actually one very expensive chain! Yes I could do it myself but, do I really want to?

Sasha just said YES! we are definitely up for that little run down to Le Touquet :) and she's extremely happy you mentioned Spring :lol:
Maximus
Site Admin

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:51 pm

Hey Jeff, hows the bike coming along? Been out anywhere yet?
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:17 pm

Naw, getting run around from the shop, their delivery van failed MOT and been off the road for 5 days, so their deliveries are way behind. Will give them until Wednesday and then think of cancelling.

Trouble is, even if I get it this week, I am off to Japan on Monday for a week, so that will kybosh any riding for a further week - I dont know if you remember, but I mentor the 6th form college here for Robotics from October thru to April every Satuday and all weekend in the six week build period for a competition in New York in March. Check out usfirst.org for info as we ll as sysemetric.org. Great fun but no time for myself at the moment!

Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:49 pm

Would have thought a business who delivers bikes around the country would have made sure their vehicle was mot'd! Not really a way to run any sort of business. Where are they located?

I remember about the robotics thing. All exciting stuff! We were supposed to be off to Japan next month but had to cancel as Sasha can't get the time off. We'll get there eventually though.
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:02 pm

Brighton, otherwise I would have taken a day off! As for Japan, leave Monday, arrive Tuesday, dinner Tuesday night, meeting Wednesday, dinner Wednesday, leave Thursday. Wont see too much, but better than my last visit which was only one day! Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:25 pm

Well the first thing that comes to mind if their van has failed the MOT is why don't they just hire another one for the day? Doesn't cost that much to hire a van. Did they offer delivery or was it something you had to arrange with them? Just trying to think if I know anyone with a trailer.
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:09 am

Well, I got free delivery, so you get what you pay for! Will phone them tomorrow and see where they are at.

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:35 am

Ok I can see why they want to use their own van then but why has it taken them so long to sort it out? I know there is probably no rush given the sub zero temperatures at the moment but I know with bikes it doesn't really matter, even if you can just polish it in the garage that's usually good enough until warmer days arrive :)
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:52 pm

Hopefully tomorrow, but not crossing fingers yet!