Post your pics and info here

Moderators: bob, jthspace, maximus

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: Been and done it . . .

Post by maximus » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:28 pm

....and it's going to be a mild day tomorrow! :) Really hope they manage to get it to you.

Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:48 pm

Arrived this evening, so have put 10 miles on it. Sounds nice, thumper. Pulls well, not going to set rubber burning, but more relaxed than the 8,000 rpm of the Gilera!

Weird to get used to a front-end again, as you know, scooters and motorcycles have different steering so will need to get used to a bike again, first few corners were "interesting".

Unfortunately, the screen is about 2 or 3 inches too high for me and the edge was always in the way as I looked for the right line to follow on dark country unlit roads. Will definitely need to upgrade the lighting, will try a replacement H4 bulb, I have the Philips +90 in the Micra which are good, a £5 upgrade but if it isn't good enough, will look to a HID. Interestingly, if you fit them to a motorcycle, the law says that the dip has to be halogen and main beam HID. On the last bike I had with a self-fit HID, I rode with a dipped HID and hardly ever used high beam. Self-fit HID's to cars remain illegal, it is unusual that they allow them on bikes and not cars! Think Bike!

I have a Hawk 50 alarm on order and that will be fitted weekend after next, then will consider tweaks - extra LED rear marker lights, eardrum bleeding horn, maybe front riding lights.

Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:05 pm

Glad to hear you got your hands on it at last! Was it in the condition you expected or had you seen it in the metal before buying?

I can imagine how crap the headlight is. Not needed to update the lights on the Triumph. They are actually much better than the car only thing is I find it a bit of a faff trying to hit the high beam with heavily gloved hands. Must be getting old because I can't remember every having that problem on any other bike I have owned :(

Looking forward to warmer days and less rain. Missing getting out on the bike. Years ago the weather would not have bothered me but these days, given the choice, I definitely don't want to be sliding about on slippery country lanes and freezing my extremities off!
Maximus
Site Admin

maxi19
Veteran
Veteran
Great Britain

Post by maxi19 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:34 am

Ah! the joys of ageing Max, it comes to all of us, but with some it is more pronounced.
I do love this site and reading what all you youngster's get up to.

Ride safely

Ron

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:09 pm

Hi Ron

Nice to see you here :) How's the boat?

I think it's just the realization that we are not going to live forever and probably there are less years left ahead than have gone before that tinges things like riding a bike with a sense of caution you would not have had 20 years ago. I think I would like to hang around as long as possible! :)
Maximus
Site Admin

maxi19
Veteran
Veteran
Great Britain

Post by maxi19 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:13 pm

Hi Max,

I'm okay, the same caution applies to boating, 6 or 10 mph might not seem much, but when you are a 10ft beam going into a 10ft 6inch wide lock with a cross current, no brakes, even 3mph seems dangerous.

The site seems very quiet now, you and Jeff appear to be the main contributers.

Best Regards to all

Ron

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:00 pm

Hi Ron,

Nice to see you around. It is quiet around here, and it's nice to be called "youngsters" occasionally as well! Thanks. Would be nice if the peeps that come and read would drop the odd line, but as long as someone enjoys the site, it's fine with me at least.

Where abouts do you moor the boat?

Jeff

maxi19
Veteran
Veteran
Great Britain

Post by maxi19 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:15 am

Hi Jeff,

We moor at 'Bedford Boat Club' Bedford on the River Great Ouse, you can get right out to the 'Wash' and in to the Channel.
I don't contribute a lot as I don't have that much 'computer expertise', I'm just a poor old retired engineer in his 'dotage' but I do look in most day's. God it's sad innit, if this is one of life's highlights.

Just imagine what's in store for you two!

Regards

Ron

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:37 am

Ha ha, I was counting down to my retirement, it should have been in 2 years 3 days; but my Company asked be to stay for 7 years 2 days so I can pass on my job to my "heir apparent"!

You are not too far from Max nor myself so maybe you should be watching out for a Boarding Party once the weather gets better, so maybe consider changing the mooring before the area goes to the dogs with these "motosickles" come around frightening the residents!

ATB

Jeff

maxi19
Veteran
Veteran
Great Britain

Post by maxi19 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:57 am

Jeff, Max, you would be welcome anytime

Regards

Ron

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:23 pm

I think we may well take you up on that Ron. Perhaps when the weather is a bit better than it is at the moment though :) Anyway just looking at the possibility of getting a different bike now that Jeff has gone down the cruiser route. Always preferred custom bikes in the past. Last was a Honda VF750c same as this one below :
Honda Vf750c Electric 2012-01-22 11-19-55.jpeg
1988 Honda VF750c. Solid back wheel, Rocket Launcher silencers!
Honda Vf750c Electric 2012-01-22 11-19-55.jpeg (24.55 KiB) Viewed 3487 times
Honda Vf750c Electric 2012-01-22 11-19-55.jpeg
1988 Honda VF750c. Solid back wheel, Rocket Launcher silencers!
Honda Vf750c Electric 2012-01-22 11-19-55.jpeg (24.55 KiB) Viewed 3487 times
Would definitely have one of those again :) Anyway, we'll see how it goes. Would have to sell the Triumph first and it's not the best time of year to sell a bike. Unfortunately it's also THE best time of year to buy a bike :(
Maximus
Site Admin