Motorcycle License Changes From Jan 2013!

Post your pics and info here

Moderators: bob, jthspace, maximus

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Motorcycle License Changes From Jan 2013!

Post by maximus » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:16 pm

Info courtesy of L Stacey from the "Get On" blog

In January 2013 it will be "all change" with regards to the motorcycle licence due to the EC 3rd Driving Licence Directive. Unfortunately there's no escape from this because the decision by our government at the time of inception (Thanks Tony) decided to abstain rather than veto the changes.

Thanks to Get On community stalwart Nigel Osborne of Channel Rider Training for providing the following guide to beating the the new motorcycle test laws.
Your options now

* At 17: Take your test on a "125"
- Ride any bike you like but restricted to 33 bhp (100mph) for 2 years then ride any bike you like.
* At 21: Do Direct Access & take your test on a "500"
- Ride any bike you like.

Your options next year

* At 17: Take your test on a "125"
- Ride a "125" - yes that's all - for 2 years to qualify for the next test and/or:-
* At 19: Take your test on a "400"
- Ride a bike up to 46 bhp (at least that's an improvement) but only if the original (unrestricted) bike was less than twice that - 92 bhp ??? so no R6 or CBF or.... Yes - that's all - for another 2 years to qualify for the next test - or wait until:-
* At 24: Take your test on a "600"
- Ride any bike you like.

Take your test NOW!

If you take your test now on a "125", from age 17 and upwards you can ride any bike you like up to 33 bhp (1 00 mph) and after 2 years you automatically get a full (any bike you like - unrestricted ) licence.

If you're 21 or over and you take your test on a 500, you can ride any bike you like.

A licence once given can't be revoked so get in there while you can and take your test now... it's that or wait 4 years to get your full motorcycle license.

If you're completely new to riding but don't know where to start, you can book a free motorcycle ride with Get On at a test centre near you. Don't hesitate... there isn't time to waste!

Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Re: Motorcycle License Changes From Jan 2013!

Post by jthspace » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:45 pm

Well, I understand why they want to help drop m/c accident rate, but it should be in conjunction with car driving instruction / test. I believe all car drivers should go on an awareness course as part of their instruction, the simulator course is very good, for example.

Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:52 pm

Yes I agree. The accident rate, especially amongst the 17-21 age group is pretty horrific for both cars and motorcycles. I think there should also be restrictions on the size of car/bhp you can drive when you first pass your test and also the displaying of the "P" symbol as in France and Ireland should be compulsory for the first 12 months after passing your test.

Getting through the test is only the start not the end point of your learning experience. Of course your never going to get rid of the idiots who really should never be let near a car or motorcycle in the first place but at least we can ensure it's requires a bit more thought and effort to get their license.
Maximus
Site Admin

gixxer

Post by gixxer » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:07 pm

The gov just dont want young people on motorbikes .I had a 250 then passed test and could ride anything i wanted well anything i could afford at the time .I go to loads of rally's and there aint many young guy's /girls on bikes which is a shame as i remember when i was younger the great time i had with my pals going on runs ect .

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:07 pm

Well of course it all started with Euro legislation creeping in during the late 70's early 80's. Before that it was all just common sense. I started riding at a time when it was still legal to ride a 250 on L plates! I didn't myself as I began on a Suzuki TS100 and worked my way up through the cc's. I don't remember there being any great problems back then but on the other side of the coin you have to bear in mind the increased traffic and appalling state of our roads now.

I am all for proper training but only if it's going to be useful not only to get someone through their test but also to keep them alive afterwards. Seems to me, much like car drivers, once the test is out of the way common sense seems to go with it and teenagers revert to being the complete pain in the ass they always were.

However the biggest threat to our safety at the moment is not lack of training but lack of investment in the road infrastructure. Our roads are literally falling apart and whilst that may cause inconvenience to a car driver it can be lethal if your on two wheels! So how about they give us safer roads to ride on and then tackle extensions to the test and additional training?
Maximus
Site Admin