Spring Is On The Way, What plans for the good weather?

Post your pics and info here

Moderators: bob, jthspace, maximus

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Spring Is On The Way, What plans for the good weather?

Post by maximus » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:16 pm

Seeing as it's a particularly mild and sunny end to Feb and thoughts turn to getting the bike out of hibernation I wondered what plans if any the few motorcyclists we have on the forum have for the good weather?

As for myself the bike is due an MOT next week so need to get that sorted. Also just considering a new chain and sprockets but I am also considering selling the bike to get something else so not sure if that's something I want to throw money at or not.

Still got to sort Sasha's bike. We will also be selling that and either putting the dosh toward a another bike for both of us or maybe getting her a more sensible 125 to get her through the test.

So, what are you all up to ?

Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Re: Spring Is On The Way, What plans for the good weather?

Post by jthspace » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:24 pm

Well temperature last few days is almost "summer" but I expect we can still be caught out unawares yet.

I need to tweak the fork alignment, it has a slight bias to the right and needs to have the top and bottom bolts loosened, twisted and retightened. It is a two man job on the Yam as it only has a side stand, so need a body ont he bike to hold it upright while the forks are reset.

Looking forward to a border raid to France, Le Touquet, which is a nice 2 hour ride to the chunnel and an hour the other side, a little longer if you go the picturesue way along the coast or the N1 rather than the motorway. Go early, come back late and enjoy a steak frites along the way! Ferpect.

As to the bike, I need to modify the carrier a bit, trouble is, my welding skills are not good enough so will have to beg some help from the local farmer whose welding is amazing, his joins look like they have been poured, mine look like a sneeze! I have bought some stainless bolts from eBay to replace the standard ones so will, over time, replace them.

I bought a new numberplate, slightly smaller (oh really officer?) and mounted a bracket behind it to mount extra lights on. I have ordered some "bullet" lights which will give me some more red lights at the back and I will also fit a brake light flasher circuit so that the brake light flashes 7 times when first pulled and then goes steady if held - it is road legal. I am going to get the camera out and record all the work, so may get to post a topic for each mod.

Thinking what to do at the front - I fancy two driving lights to give more "attention" to other road users. There is NO room for a HID otherwise I would do that as well.

I am really busy at work with some trips coming up and also a robotic competition in NY the week after next with Hills Road Sixth Form college here in Cambridge. I have been mentoring the team each weekend since October so this is the culmination of a lot of work. Will be glad of a rest when this is all over and get to use the new bike for myself. See http://www.systemetric.org/ for more details.

Any sponsors out there?

Ride safely,

Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:47 pm

Sounds like you have a lot of things planned for the Yam there Jeff! Will be looking real nice after all the mods :) Maybe we'll pop up and see you one Sat/Sun as Sasha is very interested in you bike. I reckon something like that would be just perfect for her first big bike...well, "big" in comparison to a 125 anyway.

Definitely looking forward to a quick blast across the channel. Hopefully I will have sorted out a new bike by then but if not I have no doubts the Triumph will do the job just fine. Got to get it in for an MOT this coming week. Not sure about that chain issue. The one on it looks fine, no worn sprockets..well the rear is ok, not checked the front yet but! it has done 21k and 20k so it's due a change. However given the kit costs £120 and the swinging arm needs to be removed to change it you can appreciate it's not something I am looking forward to doing :(

Good luck with the robotics thing. Sounds very interesting especially as it is something that is now coming into the mainstream :)
Maximus
Site Admin

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:49 pm

Starting to consider keeping the Trident, for a while at least. Just booked it into the Triumph dealers in Woburn for a service and will probably have the chain replaced at the same time. I'll then fit a scott oiler or similar and take it from there. Will also put a new gel battery on it. If I can get rid of the finger numbing vibration after only 20 miles! then it might be worth hanging on to. If not it will definitely have to go. I do like it a lot but I just can't be doing with those sort of vibes.

Bike goes in on the 17th March. MOT isn't due until the 20th and will give me a bit of time to get the cash together for, what no doubt will be a pretty hefty bill :( Will install the oiler before that though and keep you posted.
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:19 pm

Yep, strange thing that my 125 which revs at 8 or 9 thou all the time has little or no vibration even ringing the nuts off it. Obviously good rubber engine mounts.

The XV535 is like yours, a tingle as you set off, but a vibro-plate by the time you have done 20 miles! The foootpegs appear to be rubber mounted. I might try and see if I can get some gel grips or something. Also discourages gripping the tank with your knees though, so maybe some tank pads, but I think these spoil the effect of the style though.

Fitted some extra bullet rear lights today, will make a new post when I am back next weekend and upload the photos etc. then. Leaving at 0430 tomorrow morning so just catching up on posts and will hit the sack early tonight. Did tweak the forks today as well as they were slightly misaligned. All went O.K. until the right hand leg decided to pop up on its own thru the top fitting; then I was well stuck. Luckily, my friend suggested a window cramp and knew someone who had one. Basically, it is a 4 foot metal bar with arms at each end and a screw at one end so as to move the arms together. Imagine holding a window frame in a big clamp whilst all the glue drys.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... Q2op7oG9jA

Anyway, compressing the fork and it all went back where it should be so I then did up the bolts, released the cramp and everything was fine - AND the handlebars were (almost) perfectly straight. Result.

That filled up about 5 hours - not bad for a 30 minute job.

Ride safely,

Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:44 pm

Have you checked the engine mounts? I'm pretty sure the XV should not vibrate like that but then people tell me the Triumph shouldn't vibrate either, "silky smooth" is a description I often hear applied to it. No silky smoothness with mine unfortunately :( I'll do my best to sort it though.

Hope you have a safe journey. We'll catch up when you get back.
Maximus
Site Admin