Post your pics and info here

Moderators: bob, jthspace, maximus

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

NEW BIKE

Post by jthspace » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:15 pm

OK, first old news - I agreed some years ago that when I reached a "certain" age, I would retire from riding "big" bikes. This was not a problem. I have also had some operations over the last few years and have another one schedules, so handling a bigger bike was getting to be an issue.

Anyway, I was looking around and saw a press release for a new Honda MSX125 which had taken Thailand by storm. They are made there. It is also the centrepiece of the Modding Crowd.

I was intrigued and contacted a few honda dealers on;ine asking about trade-in / part ex etc for a new MSX125. The most positive and professional response was from Greg at Lings Honda. We chatted on the phone and agreed a price and a delivery. One week in total to sort it all out. Received the paperwork on Monday, completed it and posted it back. Took delivery of the MSX125 on Friday. Simples as they say.

Not too happy with Bennett's though, I swapped a 525cc Yamaha for a 125cc Honda and the price went up £50, lost the "ride any bike" facility and had to pay a £30 admin charge. F*** 'em, I will be shopping around at renewal.

Anyway, the Bike - it is basically the old Honda Money Bike reborn. It is a 3/4 size motorbike. The quality of the build is exceptional, finish is blemish free, wiring is neat and tidy, screws, nuts, bolts etc are either stainless or plated. Very impressive.

Initial reactions:

Driver sits very "perched" on top of the bike, unsurprisingly.

The seat is not soft, imagine budget airline. Definitely a "mod" option.

The seat height / handlebar angle is slightly uncomfortable, BUT I have just traded in a "cruiser" with high bars, so it may just be a matter of getting used to a new driving position.

Handlebars - I would have liked to have them 2" higher, easy fix if I dont get used to the current set-up.

Finish - wow, extremely good. Very neat wiring, nicely clipped / tucked away with good insulation etc. Paintwork is very good, plastics finish is to a very high standard.

Engine - very nicely finished, some of the covers are plastic and they may be replaced by aluminium / alloy replacements when they get scuffed, but as it stands on day one, they are very neat and clean lines.

Engine - Starts instantly, runs very smoothly revs freely.

First ride - warning! The front-end is extremely "light", especially after a bigger bike, so bear that in mind. On the road, very stable, considering the length of the bike / wheelbase. Engine pulls very well, no hesitation at all. On a nice twisty country lane with no traffic, I looked down and I was doing 50 mph at just over 6000 revs and the bike was really happy.

Ride - the ride is "firm" to "hard" so I think I might want to have a slightly softer tail-end but the road-holding on choppy secondary road was very good, just the odd "jar" to the spine on the rougher road surface patches.

Impression - felt I was riding "on" the bike and what was weird, you can hardly see it in your vision, but bear in mind my other bike is (was) a cruiser so a different type of machine.

Road-holding - very good, I was not expecting such sticky road holding. The roads were dry. Left-handers seemed to be an easier route (remembering we drive on the proper side of the road here (left). It is probably just an impression, I am sure that there is no difference.

Mirrors - USELESS. The mirror stems assume your body is 12" wide and the edge of your chest / arms block the rear views completely. These have to be changed. They seem to be mirror-finish plastic rather than glass mirrors, so the image, when you strain yourself to use the things look slightly like images in a fairground mirror.

Lights - in daylight the (UK) headlamp is bright. The book says 35w but not the bulb type. I have read it is an H1, but it does not look like one, so the headlamp unit will have to come off to get to the bulb and have a look.

Headlamp - always on when engine running.

Front Indicators - Warning - if you are looking to change them, be aware that they are side-lights AND indicators. Yellow sidelights in the UK are illegal, they have to be white, so I am not sure how these got type-approval. Anyway, more light to the front is good, so I will plead ignorance if I get pulled by the Old Bill. They do not auto-cancel which is a shame, so I am going to have to watch that as I am used to them turning off after 20 seconds / 500 yds.

Rear Light - LED and nicely lit.

Horn (Audible Warning Device) - LOUD. So nice to get a horn that shouts instead of a limp beep.

Small moan - unlocking the seat means the seat comes off completely, rather than hingeing, so with helmet and gloves in-hand, unlocking the seat is quite hard and then you have to do something with it (like put it down on the ground) while sorting out everything else. I have a rear rack on order from Bikerz Bits and will fit a small top-box for helmet / lock storage as there is nowhere to keep a lock/chain - which is not surprising on such a small machine.

Fun Score - 11 out of 10.

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Re: NEW BIKE

Post by jthspace » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:22 pm

Modifications already done :-

Headlight : Upgraded the 35w/35w HS1 bulb for a Philips Extreme H4 55w.

Alarm : A small "pee-off" alarm has been fitted, it beeps if you touch the bike (5 secs) or for 30 seconds f you touch it again. Won't stop it from being stolen, just to keep casual touchers away.

Rear Rack : Got a rack from Thailand and fitted it, together with a top-box. Top-box is only used when I go to the station to keep the helmet and gloves / waterproof in; otherwise it comes off if just going for a ride.

Indicators : My last bike had self cancelling indicators, I have fitted a beeper which comes on after 15 seconds if you forget to cancel the indicators.

Jeff

wks
Veteran
Veteran
Great Britain

Post by wks » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:15 pm

Nice. Get mine next week, fingers crossed :mrgreen:

Bill

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:18 am

It's really nice but I think it's not quite fast enough for me. I need something that can cruise at 70-80 two up but, yeah, for blatting around the country lanes it looks fantastic :)
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:08 pm

Bill, well done. I have posted a lot of "how to" on the following website

(sorry Max)

www.gromforum.com

Jeff

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:11 pm

Max,

Yep, top speed 65, one pax unless carrying a micro-person. Real top speed is 55 - 60 and as a fun machine it is great. Jeff

wks
Veteran
Veteran
Great Britain

Post by wks » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:50 pm

HI Jeff. Found the forum and see you on there :mrgreen: . Quick question was it easy to get the rack. I found it on Bikerz Bits(thialand) and have paypal ?
ps got the red one :D

Bill

wks
Veteran
Veteran
Great Britain

Post by wks » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:52 pm

maximus wrote:It's really nice but I think it's not quite fast enough for me. I need something that can cruise at 70-80 two up but, yeah, for blatting around the country lanes it looks fantastic :)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Got the Harley for that

Bill

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:48 pm

wks wrote:HI Jeff. Found the forum and see you on there :mrgreen: . Quick question was it easy to get the rack. I found it on Bikerz Bits(thialand) and have paypal ?
ps got the red one :D

Bill
Hi, the rack came in about 10 days - very simple to fit - worth every penny.

Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:10 pm

I see one of these bikes coming up the lane every morning when I'm taking Sasha to work. He's on L plates but strikes me as an excellent bike for anyone looking for some road experience before taking a test. For a start it looks really cool, which let's face it, you want to be looking as good as you can be with bloody great L plates stuck on the front and back of your bike and it seems to handle really well so would be ideal to actually take your test on? Got to have great resale value also. Looks like a winner all round :)
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:42 pm

It's 3/4 size, so very easy to flick left and right, revs really easily and pulls to 50 very quickly. It is a single seater though, no way could two people get on it, unless they were both 3/4 size! Imagine the "monkey" bikes of the 60's and 70's and this is an up-to-date version.

The modding scene for this in the Far East is HUGE - this is the bike of the moment for modding. It is made in Thailand by Honda, superb finish to bodywork, engine and electrics; I know it's twice the price or more of a Chinese made small bike, but it is like comparing chalk and cheese on quality, obviously. I was tempted by one of the 70's retro look Chinese Monkey bike copies of the Honda Dax, but having seen what Chinese bikes look like after 12 months . . . . :(

Jeff