Moderators: bob, jthspace, maximus

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Best Airhead Carb - Semi sporty

Post by maximus » Thu May 25, 2017 10:55 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I've purchased an R80RT about a year and a half ago, and converted it into a bit of a cafe racer. Now, I'm planning to get some more oomphh to match the looks of the bike. I already have a pair of supertrapps on there and open filters and I recently took it to a dyno guy. At the moment she produces 50hp on the rear wheel, but running very rich low-end and very lean high-end.

The dyno guy suggested rebuilding the Bings and after that re-jetting them. He wanted to order the kit, but also told me that 32mm felt a bit on the small side for the carbs. Another guy told me the quicker throttle handle I have on there (domino dual pull) doesn't play that nice with the Bings. Also, the throttle response could be quicker when going with slide carbs versus others.
So, all-in-all, I've come to the conclusion I would like to get a pair of slide carbs. The dyno guy suggested going for around 35mm's. The obvious choice is a pair of dellorto's as they were on the r90s (although 38mm or even 40mm?), but I've seen people put Electron carbs on theirs as well.

Noteworthy; It's not my daily driver, I'd like to get more performance, may opt to go with big bore / lighter flywheel / different camshaft later this year. ATM, budget is wide open, just looking at my options :)

Does anybody have some experience with putting different carbs on their airheads? If so, which ones? I'm going to have it tuned to perfection by the dyno guy after install. So I don't expect problems there.

Thanks!

Maximus
Site Admin