Two months since the last post?

Talk about anything in here. Computers, Hardware, Software, Music, Mobile Phones etc

Moderators: bob, jthspace, maximus

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Two months since the last post?

Post by maximus » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:12 pm

Wow, can't believe there has been no posts for almost two months! Something tells me I'm flogging a dead horse here but I think that's been the case for quite a long time now. I'm considering merging this forum with my much more popular yamahaforums.co.uk at least then if someone posts they are pretty likely to have their post read and receive a reply. It's mainly a musicians forum but we have a general chat section and that pretty much covers anything that would be posted here.

On the odd chance that someone actually reads this, let me know what you think ?

Maximus
Site Admin

maxi19
Veteran
Veteran
Great Britain

Re: Two months since the last post?

Post by maxi19 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:09 am

Hi Max, I look in most days and thought everyone was off on holiday.

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:19 am

Long holiday Ron! Honestly I think people gave up a long time ago. Too many competing forums out there, many of which are also dying a slow death now. Most people use Twitter or Facebook these days so the whole shouting match has changed. Very few forums are actually growing. Yamahaforums has a continuous influx of new members but the nature of the forum means it is something that never goes out of fashion and the information provided there plus the large archive of useful material mean it will be relevant for many years to come :)

PcMacZone on the other hand, as you know, was originally set up for a single purpose ;) That purpose is becoming ever less relevant in these days of high speed broadband connections and on line streaming. There is not enough other material here to hold peoples attention.

I am looking into the possibility of merging the membership of this forum with Yamaha Forums and carrying over certain sections ;) It's not a straightforward task from what I can gather but I think most people would prefer to be on an active forum rather than one that sees a single post every couple of months?
Maximus
Site Admin

maxi19
Veteran
Veteran
Great Britain

Post by maxi19 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:14 am

Hi Saul, its a shame to see the site going out of use, I know that I picked up a lot of computer related information from it over the years but as you point out people's needs and preferences change and there is nothing more to do than to try and cater for these changes.

On the other hand, the site has had a long run and I believe it has been appreciated by many.

bob
Great Britain

Post by bob » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:30 pm

I will 2nd Rons last post, I must admit I haven't posted much this year at all, though I do look in a couple of times a day. even while I,m away from home base. In my case the reason for not posting is, lately havent had many uck ups, and have been away from home for around 3months this year.

but I do see your point Max, flogging a dead horse and all that, ........ but this is still my favourite forum and I for one will miss tremendously. :cry:

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:08 pm

Thanks Bob, Ron. I'm not complaining so much as lamenting the forums passing as it were. No amount of effort on my part is ever going to bring it back to where it was simply because the vast majority of members have moved on.

I think the turning point was when I had to put a stop to people posting warez and serials etc. We were getting too much attention from the wrong people and it was that or close it down completely. Ever since then people have drifted away to other forums, most of which have either been shut down or have had to drastically modify their own policies. I can think of one major site that lost over half it's members this year alone.

Anyway, the forum won't vanish completely, I will be merging the two which, if successful will mean all the members, posts etc will be kept from this forum and merged with my other, busier site.

Having said that I am still not entirely sure of the process. Although both forums are using the same phpbb software I am pretty sure some quite intricate tinkering needs to be done in order to merge the two together without coming up against conflicts on things like post and user id.

So, nothing will be happening for a while but it is something I think needs to be done. Sometimes on this forum I feel like I am walking around some big old run down mansion on my own and that's not a great place to be.
Maximus
Site Admin

maxi19
Veteran
Veteran
Great Britain

Post by maxi19 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:19 pm

Saul, I think you would find you are more appreciated than you believe!

Ron Mc

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:18 pm

Thanks Ron :)

I saw there have been 117 views of this thread but just you me and Bob posting :( Perhaps most are not registered so they cannot post. A lot of people get fed up constantly having to register on every forum they visit. Unfortunately we have the spammers and hackers to thank for that situation. I remember back when I first started the forum around 1997, there was no need for registering. People could just roll up and post! no spammers, no hacking, no trolls, just normal people conversing with each other on a myriad of topics. I don't often think the past was better than the present but where forums were concerned, it most definitely was...oh and the price of petrol ;)

If I were to remove the need to register on this forum right now, it would definitely be busy...busy with spammers flooding it with complete and utter garbage! Actually I just noticed there have been a lot of spammers register on the site, one registered only today but I don't think they can activate their memberships because they use invalid email addresses.

Jeez, comes to something when even the spammers can't be bothered to post :lol:
Maximus
Site Admin

Dexxa
Great Britain

Post by Dexxa » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:02 pm

I'm still here :)

Just having a few problems with my ex going behind my back and registering my son without me knowing, and also getting access.

Also been working on my website :)

How are things? How are things in the HI world lol

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:25 pm

As you can see by the overwhelming activity on the forum....things are quiet! ;) Not much else going on. Still with HI and no probs to report in that respect, at least not right now. Had a wisdom tooth pulled yesterday. Not the nicest experience of my life but given a choice between that and kidney stones I would have the tooth pulled any day! :) Downside was it didn't want to come out so feeling a bit sore right now. On the upside it's one less piece of amalgam in my mouth and that is never a bad thing :)

Not had time to look at the merging of forums yet but I am sure it will happen at some point in the future.
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:28 pm

Hi,

I HAVE BEEN ON HOLIDAY! HONEST!

I got home at 3 a.m. this morning, had to look at a few hundred emails from work, and have JUST sat down with a cheese sandwich and a diet coke to have a few minutes with myself!

I agree that it has been too quiet to support a separate forum, as you have said, the purpose of the original site(s) have changed dramatically, even from the old bulletin board days . . .

Merging would probably make a lot of sense and have a more "general" PC section maybe for the useful posts / sections to be carried over.

Mailing lists of interesting items would, I assume, still be sent when there is news?

Will support you in whatever decision you make and will "follow" you wherever the site goes!

I have just put the TV on Sky News and listening to the news about the two police women shot and killed in Manchester - what a scumbag that guy is! Unbelievable, I am speechless!

Aggghhhh, Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:17 pm

Hi Jeff

Glad to see you back safe and sound:) Of course I know your workload is pretty hectic and you had to fit the holiday in also so it's hardly surprising you don't get a lot of time for the forum. Good holiday though I hope?

Yeah what you said about merging and creating a general PC section is spot on. I think even with just the few of us who are left it would be a real bonus to the users over at my other site.

Of course "news" items will continue to go out as usual ;) The need for that is not what it once was but there are still a few regulars who look forward to it :)

Totally agree about those two young police women. Staggering that young lives can be destroyed with such abandon and where the hell did that low life scum bag get the guns AND grenades? A very sad day indeed :(
Maximus
Site Admin

toon
Veteran
Veteran
Great Britain

Post by toon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:40 am

I am back now too! And I for sure Reeeeaaaalllly appreciate all the help I have had over the years. If you move Saul, I will be coming for the ride. And as a musician I am sure that will open a new avenue.
gav

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:31 pm

Hi Gav

Not had time to look at the merging yet but from what I read previously I think I'll have my work cut out on that front! I am sure i will figure it out eventually. The other forum is constantly busy so I think the benefits to the few left here would be immense and we could definitely use more computer related skills over there :)
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:50 pm

Well, you could cull out all the old stuff over 24 months old and lock the forum for historical reference and have a re-direct link to the other site.

On the other site, create a FEW categories to start with.

I have followed your sites over the years as they have morphed, so a merger isnt going to be the end of the world.

ATB

Jeff