Deleted/Deactivated Members On The Forum

Talk about anything in here. Computers, Hardware, Software, Music, Mobile Phones etc

Moderators: bob, jthspace, maximus

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Deleted/Deactivated Members On The Forum

Post by maximus » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:36 am

Have had a lot of spam registrations to the forum over the last year or so. All of them had registered but never logged in and were obviously just waiting to begin spamming the forum. As a consequence I have either deleted or deactivated about 20,000 memberships. I am pretty sure all of these were not genuine users but in the off chance that I have deleted or deactivated someone who is a genuine user and who wishes to remain a member of the forum just drop me an email to admin at pcmaczone.co.uk obviously putting that together as an email address not words.....avoids auto email farming software picking it up....and I will sort out your membership.

I know it's not a very active forum these days but there are a number of us still here and using it for various things. I may close the site down as a public resource and keep it members only but will let you know about that. Membership will then be via referral only.

Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Re: Deleted/Deactivated Members On The Forum

Post by jthspace » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:26 pm

I had to delete a couple of posts yesterday which you probably saw in the logs. Unfortunately the forum software only lets me delete the posts, not ban the user!

Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks Jeff. I think I have got rid of all the spammers now. They signed up when membership approval was by the user not the admin so of course they put loads of memberships in place so when one was deleted another would pop up almost instantly.

I though you could ban users though. You should be able to. I'll check on that.

How was Moscow? I hear someone was promoting air ships there. Did you see any of that?
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:35 pm

Boy, MAKS was great - an Airship, latest fighters, helicopters, noise, smell, tons of Space stuff and I was allowed access to things and places that were not available to others - nice to have friends in high places.

I was incredibly lucky to have a go on a simulator - I flew a new airliner (MC21 code name) which hasn't got a real name yet but is a B737 / A320 size passenger aircraft. The new simulator has iMax type wrap-around displays and a full fly-by-wire cockpit. I had P1 on take-off, circuits and landing, although I had a little help on landing as I was way too fast on approach. Mind blowing. I got out at the end sweating with a pounding heart, the simulator is so real! If it had been a real flight, there would have been a lot of airsick and upset passengers, it was not a "smooth" flight!

I saw lots of new launch vehicles and even had a visit to the new manned capsule which is being developed for flights to the Space Station. Met some current and former Cosmonauts, all Hero medal winners of course. Loads of photographs were taken by the official photographer and I am waiting for a memory stick or two.

Had some time off (this was a holiday but I was assisting my friends at MAKS) and visited some Churches, Art Galleries and Museums that are off the beaten track, so saw artwork that was assembled in the 1800's, disappeared in 1917 and have only all come back together in 2000. I got so many books as I visited each one that I have had to leave them in Moscow as my suitcase wasn't big enough - even after being given a rucksack for the other bits and pieces from MAKS. Had amazing meals in restaurants that ranged from extremely modern to pure classic on the 39th floor of the Ukraine Hotel in one of the Seven Sisters buildings (the sky scrapers built by Lenin).

Best "man-time" holiday I have ever had. Bet you regret asking me!

Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:14 pm

Sounds like you had a fantastic time and I am definitely envious! Sasha has been in a flight simulator. They used to have one up at the airport and of course working for Monarch she was able to have a go. Would definitely have liked a spin in that sim you were in.

I read that air ships are due for a big comeback in about three years time. There are two major companies, one in Russia and one in the USA both run by two Ukrainian guys who were one time school friends but have since parted ways. Given the new tech it looks like it may be a goer this time round :)

Things must seem a little tame after coming back from something like that?

Post some photo's if you get a chance. Would definitely be interested to see them.
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:20 pm

Yep, the company I was helping out also owns a Space magazine in Russia, so the photographer was taking my shots for me! They have promised a disk/memory stick of the photos. I will put them on dropbox when I get them.

Came back to news that there had been a major fire at work, 13th floor was burnt out, I am on the 10th so there is water damage - so working from home today. Going in tomorrow to see where we are going to operate from for the rest of the week. We are meeting in a wine bar at 0900 (a sensible location for us lot! Not.). Apparently there were some 70 firefighters called to the office on Saturday. At least I have an alibi :)

Life is never dull!

Jeff

p.s. Here are the girls from the office - hope they got a bonus for having to look like Thunderbirds!