Blocked Sites? From another site . . . . . . .

Talk about anything in here. Computers, Hardware, Software, Music, Mobile Phones etc

Moderators: bob, jthspace, maximus

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Blocked Sites? From another site . . . . . . .

Post by jthspace » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:09 pm

Sky blocking websites
http://help.sky.com/security/privacy/ou ... copyright/

A lot of the sites have been banned for months.

https://immunicity.org/

Sites that are unblocked https://immunicity.org/blockedsites

Easy work around on firefox

Install the plugin "anonymox", change region & away you go

http://www.anonymox.net/en

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: Blocked Sites? From another site . . . . . . .

Post by maximus » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:18 pm

I have a feeling that is going to start happening with a lot of isp's. I believe the big players like Sky, BT, Virgin and TalkTalk recently made an agreement with the government and software protection groups to begin blocking certain sites.

Thing with all this is, where does it end? How many other things are they stopping us from seeing? We are not as free as perhaps we may have thought we are?

Anyway, thanks for the info. May seem like there are not many of us here these days but people do pass through quite often so others may benefit from this :)
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:23 am

I have absolutely no issues with being monitored and I can understand the isp's having to block sites because of legistlation or litigation. I work in a job where I have access to restricted information and security and restrictions are second-nature.

I don't like, Google for example, being monitored where the information is sold on - however, with Google, I am availing myself of their "free" services and, as we all know, nothing is truly free in this World (other than advice on this site!). Therefore, being pragmatic, I know that if I use Google services, I will be getting targeted ads etc. I can then decide, freely, to accept or reject the use of these services. Google Mail is very useful for registering email addresses on websites, all the traffic that results from such registration is therefore all in one place and easy to handle.

I recently learned that LG televisions were sending back information on what you were watching so that targeted ads could be sent to you on the Smart TV side of the TV. My TV does not have an opt out option, being 2 years old, but newer ones do. HOWEVER, even if you opt out, the info was still being sent. When the person found out and emailed LG he was told, basically, that it was normal and part of the "experience" of owning an LG TV as he has agreed the terms and conditions when he logged onto the TV. I am not going into the rights of consumers, it would take three pages of notes, suffice to say the user complained to the data protection system, let the BBC know and it went world-wide in a few days. Instantly, LG responded by saying that a system fix would be sent to TV's to stop the data flow. LG's data mining is unacceptable. I paid hundreds of pounds for a TV and data gathering without my permission is a NO-NO.

As I said, my TV did not have an opt out option in the menu, but the blog I read listed the websites the TV sent info to, so I put them in my routers block list. What do you know? As soon as I fired up i-player, the TV sent out the info, the log file on the router listed the site and the router blocked the request (as it should).

Every PS3 sends back information to Sony on every blu-ray disc played. Samsung are refusing to comment at the moment, which kind of speaks volumes.

I was thinking that I would un-hook the TV from the net and use my Roku box instead for iptv, but then again I do not know if that is sending back info - you have to register when you install it, so they have your email address and ip details, the box often checks for updates so who knows what is being sent.

Technical Question : If I allocate fixed internal addresses to my kit (e.g. 192.168.1.10 for the TV) can I set something up on the router to allow incoming but deny outgoing access? I have a Sky latest router.

The original blog can be found here, which lists the LG websites being accessed by the TV.

http://doctorbeet.blogspot.co.uk/2013/1 ... 9783118442

Phew, that amount of typing before a bacon sandwich has tired me out!

Jeff

bob
Great Britain

Post by bob » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:15 pm

interesting post Jeff !

I look forward to the follow ups to this.....I also use a sky router !

A T B bob

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:31 pm

I also have an LG tv bought two years ago so no doubt they have been stealing my info as well. Have not seen any ads on the smart tv side of things but I think it's a bloody cheek to do this when you have paid a premium for a tv? We aren't "renting" the tv from the manufacturers, we all bought and paid for it with our hard earned dosh and they have absolutely no right whatsoever to invade our privacy like this!

Problem is we have all let companies like LG do this over the years. Slowly they have eroded our privacy and seem to think there is nothing at all wrong with monitoring what we watch and when. I would say it's about time laws were put in place to stop them from doing this but then you would be asking a government that does exactly the same thing with our emails, web searches and phone calls to bring in the legislation. Doesn't sound hopeful does it?

Like you Jeff, I use gmail and google a lot. I am aware they scan my email and what sites I visit but that doesn't bother me simply because they didn't hide it. I could make an informed choice. None of us were given a choice with this TV monitoring fiasco. I'm thinking now when it comes time to upgrade our tv I may just go for a monitor or projector without any internet facilities and sort out the rest myself so that "I" have control over what information I share.

To answer your question Jeff, yes if you set up a fixed ip address you can allow incoming and deny outgoing data however you may find some things simply won't work as they need to be able to send out certain data as part of how they function. That should not however include your viewing habits.
Maximus
Site Admin