What a great start to 2014 .......

Talk about anything in here. Computers, Hardware, Software, Music, Mobile Phones etc

Moderators: bob, jthspace, maximus

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

What a great start to 2014 .......

Post by jthspace » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:30 pm

The washing machine heating element has gone and the microwave doesn't heat either. Sigh.

I won't be going to PCW/C though. John Lewis, I think :)

Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: What a great start to 2014 .......

Post by maximus » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:08 am

But looking on the plus side you get a brand new washing machine and microwave :)

Our Panasonic microwave packed up a couple of years ago and we never got around to replacing it. Trouble is it was their top of the range so to replace is expensive. Did last us nearly ten years though :)

Bought a really nice Samsung Ecobubble washer/dryer a couple of months ago. Really nice and get's clothes incredibly clean. Always a compromise on the drying side but it's fine if you keep to the 5kg limit. 10 year warranty on the direct drive motor also :)
Maximus
Site Admin

ocobre
PcMacZone Member
PcMacZone Member

Post by ocobre » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:01 am

Heating elements for washing machines aren't always that expensive to replace and may be worth looking into. Huge inconvenience while they're not working though.

I agree with the microwave however. We had a 10 year old 'family size' MW and when it blew couldn't find anything remotely as good.

I suppose January is as good a time to shop with all the sales on. John Lewis are price-matching local stores and I'm sure others are too. Have better warranties too.

B

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:07 am

Yeah I think John Lewis are offering two year warranties on all electrical goods now :) Also one of the best places to buy anything from in my opinion.
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:41 am

Well, called a repair man this morning and he turned up 30 minutes later, fitted a new heating element and all good. The Samsung was an option (washer only, dont like dryers) and it came with a 5 year guarantee. Quite a few complains of faulty doors though, with people saying John Lewis just changed machines out, so it may have been a batch fault.

Has good reviews as well. Current machine is an 8 year old Bosch, expensive, but first glitch in 8 years, so can't moan too much. Just thinking that if the first fault starts, others may follow. In the meantime, will keep the Bosch until it errs again, then look at a Bosch replacement or the Samsung (both via John Lewis) as they offer a 2 year warranty as standard on these types of goods.

The heating element that came out of the Bosch looked almost new, mind you we have a water softener so that obviously helps. We had the kitchen floor replaced recently and was without the softener for 2 months - the kettle furred up in a couple of boils!

As to microwaves , ours is a DeLongi combi, about 8 years old as well. Worked today, but didn't yesterday. Go figure. Recent reports on Microwaves all complain they are too light, ours must have a couple of house bricks in it as it weighs a ton. We bought a combi because we had a Rayburn and needed a small oven / grill for quick use, would not bother again as we now have a "normal" electric oven. To be truthful, could never get on with the combi, it (the combi part) was only ever really used to warm plates / keep take-aways warm!

So, although it looked like an expensive day at the sales, we are hoping the washer is going to behave and the microwave has got over its sulk.

Happy New Year!

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:56 am

I really like Bosch. A friend of mine had one for years and with three small children it took quite a hammering. Electrics started playing up though and after the main board was replaced three times she decided to cut her losses and go for a Miele. That's on every day of the week and has been faultless since she got it. normally we would not have a combined washer/dryer but we simply don't have any room for both. The Samsung does a fine job although you do sometimes have to spin things twice in order to get it to dry properly.

I keep thinking microwaves should have moved on since we bought the Panasonic but no, ten years later they are still selling the exact same model! and at the same price!! Can't figure that one out but I guess if it ain't broke, don't meddle with it :)
Maximus
Site Admin

m8internet

Post by m8internet » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:47 pm

You might want to look at the Domestic & General Kitchen Appliances warranty for existing out of warranty appliances
This covers up to 5 items in the Kitchen, which you list on the policy

My brother has this and has called them out five times to repair his Washer / Dryer now
DomGen have also advised this was the final repair on the Washer / Dryer and would offer a new one instead next time (up to £300)

He also has a separate policy on Entertainment devices, and this basically covers TV, DVD, Music System, smartphone, laptop, and computer

I had a similar policy on my DVD Cinema System
I was advised to dispose of the failed item and take the reference number to my nearest store (from a list)
After discussion with the sales person I found out they received £200, so could select any system up to £200 or anything above and pay the difference
Professional website hosting
m8internet.com

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:17 pm

What is the cost of the policy though? Have never needed anything replaced under warranty as far back as I can remember...oh except for my Samsung Galaxy S3 but that was covered under the two year Samsung guarantee and was due to a manufacturing fault.

I guess it depends on what you have and what value it is.
Maximus
Site Admin

m8internet

Post by m8internet » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:07 pm

The Kitchen Policy is about £60 per year
This is an option once you have selected three or more such appliances
In effect you get the fourth and fifth appliances covered for free
m8internet.com

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:00 pm

Ok that sounds fairly reasonable if you have products out of warranty that would cost a fair amount to replace.

Not keen on shop bought warranties though. You know, the sort of thing they try and flog you when you buy something in Currys/PCW? It's what they make the real money on and often costs way more than it should.
Maximus
Site Admin

m8internet

Post by m8internet » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:40 pm

maximus wrote:Not keen on shop bought warranties though. You know, the sort of thing they try and flog you when you buy something in Currys/PCW? It's what they make the real money on and often costs way more than it should.
I always look at the total payable over the lifetime (4 years here in Scotland, 5 years elsewhere in UK) of the appliance

John Lewis are slightly more expensive, but most electrical appliances include a 5 year (years 1 to 5) warranty and for most other appliances a 2 year warranty

Currys (DSG Group) sell policies from DomGen, so it can be useful to price them separately
Once the manufacturers 1 year warranty expires it can be cheaper to renew with DomGen (who often send you a reminder) instead

Also, check the small print of such warranties
Before Comet went bust they were selling their own-brand 5 year warranty
Included in this was a clause that in the event of no claim you would receive a full refund of the cost of the warranty
However, you had to claim within 30 days of expiry
Thankfully this policy too was underwritten by DomGen
I used this when purchasing my Camcorder and the warranty repay in effect paid for a new camera 5 years later
m8internet.com