Unread PM for Maximus

Talk about anything in here. Computers, Hardware, Software, Music, Mobile Phones etc

Moderators: bob, jthspace, maximus

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Unread PM for Maximus

Post by jthspace » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:26 pm

Hi Max,

You have unread PM . . . . in case it's not showing a pop-up.

J

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: Unread PM for Maximus

Post by maximus » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:54 pm

Just got back from Ukraine. Have pm'd you :)
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:04 pm

Ah!, thought you had already gone and come back - my mistake.

Last time I was on a Ukranian train, you could see the original logo, the occupying German logo, the Russian State logo and the new Ukranian logo - goodness knows how old the carriage was, but it had a coal stove in it for heating and they gave you a bit of rope to tie the door shut to stop robbers getting into the carriage during the night (it travelled slowly, max 30 to 40 mph on the good bits of rail, much slower elsewhere and people jumped on and off at will). Very interesting 12 hour over-night journey - drank a lot of coffee and alcohol! They did NOT advertise the benefits (!) of travelling by rail. We went by rail as we were banned by our employer of flying in a YAK 40 internally, due to safety record. Apparently we got tyhe lesser of two evils :) It was 20 years ago, buit sounds like you had the same train!

Let's chat soon,

All the best

Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:07 pm

LOL, yes could well have been the same train. It was certainly getting on a bit. I half expected German guards to come knocking on the door asking to see our papers! Still travels at an incredibly slow 40-50 miles per hour but given the state of the tracks that's probably a good thing. Couldn't believe the carriages are not level with the platforms? I had to lug a 32kg case up a flight of steps that would have given a weight lifter a problem and that old "mind the gap" you used to hear on British platforms is given a whole new meaning in Ukraine. It's like the grand canyon! Never, EVER again!
Maximus
Site Admin