EFF files court brief urging warrants for digital device searches at borders

Apple iPad, Android Tablets, Amazon Kindle, Sony Ereader Etc. Info, links and downloads
thetgc
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin
Great Britain

EFF files court brief urging warrants for digital device searches at borders

Post by thetgc » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:19 am

Image The EFF has filed a court filing pressing for warrants be required for searches of mobile phones, laptops and other digital devices by federal agents at international airports and U.S. land borders — describing these as “highly intrusive forays into travelers’ private information”. Read More
Image Image Image

https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/09/eff-f ... /?ncid=rss

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Re: EFF files court brief urging warrants for digital device searches at borders

Post by jthspace » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:25 pm

It would seem that you should go through Customs/Immigration with the phone in Airplane Mode - no-one is allowed to access iCloud or internet storage, but can review locally stored information. Or take a "non-smart" phone :)

Interestingly, the filing of a "warrant required" was as a result of a drugs criminal being caught from a phone search - so what's the problem?

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: EFF files court brief urging warrants for digital device searches at borders

Post by maximus » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Not entirely sure why people would object to this but I guess it's the old "government intruding" thing again. What they don't seem to understand is that the government...all governments, perform surveillance of the people all the time and it's been going on for years.

Speaking for myself I have absolutely nothing on my phone or iPad that I could care less about anyone seeing. Still, not about to head the the States anytime soon and probably not anywhere else abroad for a while so doesn't affect us just yet :)
Maximus
Site Admin