1993 Eunos 1.6 Import from Japan (Miata - MX5 type)

Cars new, old, future we love our cars. Any make, any model this is the place to discus it.

Moderators: bob, jthspace, maximus

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

1993 Eunos 1.6 Import from Japan (Miata - MX5 type)

Post by jthspace » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:03 pm

Last year, after many years on two-wheels I decided to hang up the helmet and buy something a little more stable.

I saw this for sale and kind of felt it should be mine. It is a 1993 Eunos. It was imported in 2016 and the owner spent quite a bit on it before deciding a new house was a more pressing need - so I managed to get it at a reasonable price. More than what it's intrinsically worth, but about right for the age and condition.

It still has it's original paint (almost flawless) and is completely rust free. Japan does not use salt on their roads, so cars are generally in excellent condition when imported. It has 133,000 kms on the clock (verified).

The car has had its timing belt and water pump changed and a full service. It has a stainless exhaust from the Cat back, which gives it a nice growl. There is adjustable suspension (height + hard/soft) as well as BBS alloys with black centres. There was a new mohair soft-top fitted with a heated glass rear window which I have now wired up. It has been Waxoyl'ed and the sills drilled and treated as well.

The picture of the car "as purchased" is below but I have made some modifications and I will show these as separate posts.

Jeff

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Re: 1993 Eunos 1.6 Import from Japan (Miata - MX5 type)

Post by jthspace » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:09 pm

First Modifications

Clock and phone charger - eBay (of course)

Radio change - I had a DAB radio in the "bitsa" box, so that was (technically) free!

The little push button is a remote boot release - but will be moved to the lockable centre console at some stage.

Total cost approx £20

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:15 pm

Changed the Instrument dials from the original black to White. Scraped the paint off the pointers and painted red to match the car.

Also sorted out the wonky steering wheel console.

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:25 pm

See and be Seen

I changed the front sidelight/indicator units to clear (rather than ribbed originals) and fitted LED sidelights. I swapped the indicator/sidelights over so I could get a really bright sidelight in there. It is a 5 LED Cree unit with equivalent of 75w. Bright, so I can use them as pseudo-DRL's

When I changed them, the headlights, which were Philips 130+ H4 bulbs looked yellow in comparison so I changed them to matching LED H4's.

A lot of cheap H4's flicker and/or take a while to heat up when switched on, so I bought some with drivers attached to the bulbs. More expensive, but they work properly.

Here you can see one changed bulb, one original and the new LED sidelights.

Amazon bulbs

Side lights, photo taken at 21:30

Side / headlights before the change to LED headlight bulbs

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:31 pm

The car came with a full roll bar as the chap who imported it was going to use it for track days but it looked too agricultural to me.

I borrowed some axle stands and decided to get under the car and remove the nuts and bolts holding in place and replace it with a "Style" bar and wind jammer.

Old and New bars

Fitted - took about 4 hours altogether

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:43 pm

And coming soon . . . . . .

The seats in the car had been changed for some Mk2 seats, probably the original cloth seats were pretty worn after 23 years. The seats fitted are also showing their age. Unfortunately, when the seats were changed, they disconnected the speakers which are fitted into the headrests of Mk1 seats (called tombstones!).

I have found some Mk1 seats which have been re-trimmed in black leather and have speakers in the headrests.

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:49 pm

If you wondered about the numberplate size, as it is an import, the rear plate can be the same as a Japanese plate and the front plate (in theory) can be sized to match. I have done this and it is properly marked with the BS standard and "Import" as required. However, the MOT gave it an "advisory" as the Police may argue that there is room for a full size UK plate. I will change it shortly.

When you work on the car, most of the time you can get along with just a Philips head screwdriver and a 10mm spanner / socket. :)

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:25 pm

Fantastic work there Jeff! Definitely looking the business now :)
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Put in new door cards to match the padded / quilted carpets

Before

After

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:05 pm

Looking very slick now Jeff. Like the way you covered the reg on the number plate ;)
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:15 pm

My new DRL's are very bright - they are LED and although only about 5w in power, the light output from the CREE led's are about 75w equivalent.

This has meant that the indicators (now in the sidelight position) are a little hard to see. I therefore wanted to have the DRL's go off when the indicators are on as many cars of recent manufacture do. I found this circuit on the web and decided to build it.

The idea of the circuit is simple - when the indicator goes on, it operates the coil of the relay (85-86) which pulls the contact (30-87a) open and switches the DRL's off. The capacitor holds a charge so that whilst the indicator is going on-off-on-off etc the charge in the capacitor holds the relay contacts open. When the indicators stop flashing, the capacitor discharges and reconnects 30-87a and the DRL's come back on. The capacitor needs to hold the charge for about 2 seconds to cope with the indicator flash rate.

I had a couple of 12v DPDT car relays in the Bitsa box so made up the circuit but couldn't get it to work as the coil resistance (85-86) was wrong and I couldn't get the capacitor to hold a charge long enough.

I was going to buy smaller relays but my Bro-in-Law had a couple of ready made boards usually used with Ardino or Pi circuits. Although I only wanted one circuit, there are two on the board but one remains unused.

Here is a picture of the completed project.

The leads going in on the right are the feed from the Indicator. With yellow heat shrink as a "hint"
The leads going out on the bottom are the feed to the DRL.

Two of these are needed, one for the right indicator/DRL, one for the left Indicator/DRL.

Exactly the same circuit, without the capacitor, could be used to switch off the DRL's when the headlights were turned on but in that case a 30 amp car relay would be the better answer due to the current involved. Although I call my lights "DRL" they are, in fact the sidelights!!

Jeff

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:18 pm

Latest Update - New Rear Lights

After fitting a clear/red LED third brake light, I decided to change the rear lights as well.

They were quick to fit and it took 20 minutes to do.

Tools needed : 10mm long reach socket / 10mm spanner
Bulbs Needed : Chrome or Yellow indicator bulbs
Options : LED reverse

OK, it is very simple to do. Open the boot, remove the rear panel trim.

Unclip the wiring plug from the socket and undo the four 10mm nuts. When undoing the last one, make sure you hold the light unit, it probably won't fall out, but . . .

Here is the old light unit and the new one to compare. The white bit clips off the old unit and onto the new one. The LED leads on the new one finish n a bulb so this simply pushes and turns into where the brake/side light fitted on the old unit. I changed the reverse bulb for an LED and the indicator for a chrome version. I will change it for an LED at a later date.

You can see the state of the old seals, new ones came with the light units but I had also bought some, "just in case".

Here is a picture of the Offside light fitted. Note that I have changed the offside reverse light for a fog light and put an LED red bulb in there.

Bulbs lit - it was very sunny, so don't show up well in a photo - however, much brighter than the "smoked" original lights.

Here it is with just the rear light. Couldn't take a pic of the brake light as arms and legs not long enough!

Here is a picture of the Reverse and Fog lights working

Finally, a picture of the "Aged to Perfection 1993" badge I bought off Amazon. The cars age, not mine (unfortunately)!

So, the clear effect lights look good, I wasn't sure I was going to like them. I may have to do the side reflectors and repeaters as well . . . .

The lights came with a pair of reflectors to screw to the bumper, but they would look better on a truck. I will see if I can find some small button sized ones instead. I don't think the red centres of the lights are reflective, which is a shame.

Jeff

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:49 pm

I see what you mean now about preferring the clear lens. Looks so much better than the coloured version :)

Love that number plate too, very classy :)
Maximus
Site Admin

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:38 pm

Sorry, posted wrong Numberplate

Philw
Great Britain

Post by Philw » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:26 pm

Hi Jeff,
Loving the car and the subtle but very effective mods,
LED lighting is the way to go now you just can't beat them for illumination and the clarity especially with cool white,
I have got white LEDS through out my Astra , the headlights are for nominally bright I have H3's main beam H7's dip beam and around the county lanes at night it's just like driving in daylight,
I have made individual matrix's up for the clocks and digital display and heater controls, and SMD's used in the switches also the OE Philip's stereo was attacked and fitted with white LED 's nothing has escaped lol ,
I've owned it for 11 years so it has had a lot of mods when I have time I will do a bio on the Astra,

Keep up the good work on your little gem it's a stunning example mate.

Phil